Maybe OT - Quicktime export cannot be opened on Windows

Posted by Adam Duplay 
Maybe OT - Quicktime export cannot be opened on Windows
October 08, 2009 03:25PM
Hi,

I have exported a finished edit as a self-contained quicktime movie in DV format - but my client cannot open the file on his windows machine. "It is not a file that quicktime understands"

I have already tried, Apple-I > uncheck "Hide extension"
I have already tried export in a different codec
I have already tried exporting as an AVI.

The very strange thing is that when I email him a 1 second version of the exact same movie as an attachment using the Mac mail application, and I click "Send Windows Friendly Attachment" - then he can open it.

Thoughts?

Adam
Re: Maybe OT - Quicktime export cannot be opened on Windows
October 08, 2009 03:35PM
Why is your client getting a DV file?

You could zip it up and send it to him. It's always a good practice to zip up attachments before you send them over the internet.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 04:26PM
It is a .mov file with DV compression.

The whole movie is to large to email, even when ziped.

Adam
October 08, 2009 04:59PM
Back to the questions... Why is your client trying to open a DV file on a PC, why is he getting the DV file, and how did you send it to him in the first place, if not via email?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 08, 2009 05:13PM
Does it matter why I am sending it to him or why he wants to view it? We are trying to deliver a full resolution movie (rather than .wmv or .mp4)

We delivered on DVD-rom disc. He has Quicktime Player installed on his PC. His Quicktime Player will not open the movie, even after re-exporting several times in different compression codecs, including avi.
October 08, 2009 07:26PM
He should be able to open it if he adds a .mov extension to the file (if he doesn't have the .mov extension). You could try sending it to him on a thumbdrive formatted to FAT32. That should split the resource fork.

>Does it matter why I am sending it to him or why he wants to view it?

Yes, because in most cases, the client doesn't open the masters or editing files on a peecee. Also, if you had sent him in a hard drive formatted to a mac, he would have issues opening it, and he'll just tell me "it doesn't work". Which is more vague than the "general error" message you get in FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics