Stairstep/lines 24fps on 29.97 timeline

Posted by stanya 
Stairstep/lines 24fps on 29.97 timeline
October 21, 2009 02:30PM
I found one other thread dealing with this, but had no answers. I shot at 24fps on Panasonic DVX100. Was told/read that I could use regular 29.97 capture and sequence presets in FCP (version 5) because the mini dv tape would still read the 24fps that way. (I did NOT shoot in the advanced progressive mode.)
But two things i am noticing: small black frame around the image and lines/stairstepping.
I care less about the black frame. The stairstepping, most visible when there's any movement, is a big DRAG.
if anyone can tell me whether i need to recapture with a different preset or use diff. sequence settings, or ANYthing to fix this that would be great. it's a nearly finished, 35 minute piece, so it's going to be a lot of work either way. but the pixelation/stairstepping is not acceptable.
i am monitoring with a regular TV monitor. It's not as noticeable on the monitor (which is probably why i didn't catch until showing on a larger screen computer monitor.
thank you!
stanya
Re: Stairstep/lines 24fps on 29.97 timeline
October 21, 2009 03:08PM
What you're seeing is the interlacing in the jitter frames. This is normal, and does not need to be removed.

October 22, 2009 07:51PM
thanks for your response.
So this is normal for 24fps? (it's my first work with this new camera.) seems to defeat how great the image looks to have it broken up like this. 29.97 NTSC mindv didn't do this. Hmm. what a drag.
October 22, 2009 07:54PM
It's normal for 24p material with 3:2 pulldown in it.

It doesn't defeat anything, because 3:2 pulldown is how 24p material is displayed on 60i televisions.

And it's not a drag; it's how 3:2 pulldown works.

If you want actual 24p material, as opposed to 24p with 3:2, then shoot in the 2:3:3:2, or "advanced pulldown," mode. Final Cut can remove that pulldown pattern by dropping the jitter frames, but 2:3:3:2 material is not appropriate for watching on a 60i television.

October 22, 2009 10:30PM
thank you.
October 23, 2009 01:37AM
p.s. this work will primarily be viewed as large scale projection in galleries/museums, not on TV. it will also be viewed on computers for curators to screen. any idea if there is anything to be done to improve the jitter issue in exporting? i apply a cinelook in aftereffects as well. not sure if there's anything in after effects i can do.
thanks
October 23, 2009 01:48AM
Jeff
What you're seeing is the interlacing in the jitter frames. This is normal, and does not need to be removed

this seems like an odd response.
something that looks bad should not be removed?

are you saying it will go away when presented on another monitor?
or are you saying there is no way to fix the problem

i've never dealt wth pulldown, so i dont know.

i wonder if there is a communication issue here.
could there be a difference in what stanya is seeing and describing,
and what Jeff is imagining that means?

stanya, can you post screen shots?
or if the image needs to be moving for you to see the problem,
a short video grab?

nick
October 23, 2009 01:56AM
thanks nick. i will try to post screen shots and/or video bit this weekend. have to go out of town for 2 days.
maybe there i've not described it accurately.
thanks again. will post more to try to figure out what can be done.
stanya
October 23, 2009 02:01AM
here's on still from a quicktime. in QT, it shows up as these lines when there's movement. in FCP canvas, it looks stairstepped/pixelated when there's movement.

if this doesn't help, i'll post more when i return.
thanks
stanya

oh wait, how do i load an image? i need a url ? this is gonna take a minute...
October 23, 2009 02:05AM
i use photobucket for this.

you'll have to join up, so yeah, might take a minute or two.

nick
October 23, 2009 03:34AM
Do upload a still, just in case we're onto the wrong issue.

>in FCP canvas, it looks stairstepped/pixelated when there's movement.

That sounds like interlacing/jitter frames, as Jeff mentioned. You shouldn't be able to see the lines on a TV or broadcast monitor.

>this work will primarily be viewed as large scale projection in galleries/museums

You may want to deinterlace it on output. Not sure if you can feasibly reverse telecine it on an edited sequence, since the pulldown will be very erratic, but that will probably be the ideal choice- to reverse telecine to 24fps. If were you do a normal deinterlace (in Compressor), you'll end up with 30p, which still is better for projection than 30i (60 fields per second), but your footage will end up slightly softer.
Do a short test and see how it looks.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics