Decent Additive Dissolve

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Decent Additive Dissolve
October 22, 2009 10:25AM
I'm a bit frustrated with FCP's Additive Dissolve. I love the look where it is more of a "contrasty" fade to white, rather than a straight fade...however, this transition is quirky and doesn't always work right...and it usually leaves a bit of residue from the last frame of video when it's supposed to be 100% white. Otherwise, this effect when it's 2 seconds long, the actual transition is like 10 frames.

Maybe I'm not doing the right technique to get the "contrasty" fade to white...or maybe there's a better way to do it. Any advice would be great!

Thanks!
Casey Petersen
www.unitedvideoinc.com
Re: Decent Additive Dissolve
October 22, 2009 10:40AM
Additive Dissolve isn't a fade to white. You're using the wrong tool for the job. What you want is Dip to Color Dissolve.

www.derekmok.com
October 22, 2009 10:48AM
Actually, I'm transitioning to a solid white matte.

The dip to color is a straight dissolve into white...what I'm trying to do is a dissolve to white that is also blowing out the contrast of the previous video clip -- see [url=

]HERE[/url] at 0:05...this is the effect I'm trying to get...it has a bit more dimension than just a "flat" fade to white. I was able to make this effect work here with the additive dissolve going into the solid white matte, while also doing a white matte on top of it at the end to cover up the residual frame (which looks like the effect at about 95% complete...it goes to white 100% and back down to 95%).

Maybe there's a better way to do this...I sure hope there is. I see this effect often on TV.

Thanks!
Casey
October 22, 2009 11:00AM
That's not an additive dissolve. That's a glow dissolve.

October 22, 2009 11:03AM
Hmm...don't seem to have that on my transitions list.

How would you do this effect?

Thanks!
Casey
October 22, 2009 11:05AM
In the past I've either used a stack with a keyframed glow effect over a cut, or a spark. I think Sapphire has one? Or maybe Noise? I can't remember now; I'd google around if I didn't want to create my own effect stack.

Sorry, plug-in, not spark. Old habits die hard.

October 22, 2009 11:11AM
I see that Noise has it...but I'd have to purchase FxFactory Pro...and update from OSX Tiger...so that would be roughly $500 just to get this effect to work.

I see that Nattress also has this for $100.

Any free ideas from anyone who uses this kind of transition? I'm looking for a simple effect, not necessarily an investment smiling smiley

Also, thanks Jeff!!!

Casey
October 22, 2009 11:13AM
Too Much Too Soon - Flash Frame will do something very similar to that... plus they are free.

[www.mattias.nu]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 22, 2009 11:25AM
TMTS is similar...it handles the chroma a little differently, but it is definitely close.
October 22, 2009 11:58AM
In which case use the TMTS Custom Diffusion filter in ADD mode and ramp the levels towards the end of the clip and then simply use a normal dissolve transition out.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 22, 2009 05:52PM
TMTS....I will second Ben's suggestion. You are gonna have to tweak away...I think you are trying to find a canned effect and those are the worst most boring kind. All you have to do is tweak and get a custom looking effect...and these plug-ins are free.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics