FCP 5 and d90

Posted by digitalfilmmaker 
FCP 5 and d90
October 26, 2009 12:43PM
hey,

I'm about to edit HD footage from my nikon d90 for the first time but I don't know what video settings to choose. maybe my version is too old (FCP 5) because the closest format I see is HDV 720p.
thanx for your help
Re: FCP 5 and d90
October 26, 2009 12:45PM
I think the D90 shoots 720p in Motion JPEG format. I doubt Final Cut has a preset for that; you'll probably have to set up your timeline manually.

Bring the footage into your big and look at the settings. Set up your timeline to match those and you should be golden.

October 26, 2009 04:02PM
I'd suggest first converting the footage to something more FCP friendly. Most DSLRs shoot H.264- ok for viewing, not so much for editing. So open in QT Player or Compressor and convert to another format. You're on FCP 5, I'd suggest the Apple Intermediate Codec, since you won't have access to ProRes.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
October 26, 2009 09:47PM
DVCPro HD is another option

i never used AIC, but never herd much good about it, either.

nick
October 27, 2009 04:36PM
AIC is the next best thing to ProRes if you have no way to get ProRes. DVCPROHD knocks you down to non-full raster HD for no particular reason. It's fine if you shot DVCPROHD but personally I think AIC is a better solution if you don't need it.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
November 04, 2009 01:36PM
what's AIC. some sort of plug in?
November 04, 2009 01:44PM
AIC is an intermediate codec, kinda like ProRes. It was used largely to work with HDV in the pre FCP 6 days. The chroma subsampling is at 4:2:0, and you get up to 1440x1080, as opposed to 1280x1080 for DvcproHD at NTSC frame rates.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics