[OT] Reuse Digibeta

Posted by hanguolaohu 
[OT] Reuse Digibeta
October 27, 2009 07:24PM
I was wondering if it's generally a bad idea to try rerecording footage onto used Digibeta tapes. I have several tapes with older cuts that I'm not sure what to do with. Of course, if there's a good risk that the quality could be compromised then I'm assuming it's now worth it. Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
Re: [OT] Reuse Digibeta
October 27, 2009 07:41PM
Depends...how many times were they recorded on / recycled? How old are they? I would bulk-erase the tape and try a layoff to play back and see if there are any drop-outs.

TEST - TEST - TEST!!

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 27, 2009 11:23PM
I've only recorded one pass on the tapes and they've been played a few times. Seems like the consensus on Creative Cow is that it's perfectly fine:

[forums.creativecow.net]
October 28, 2009 12:40AM
If the quality of the recording has been compromised, then why would you ever want to reuse the tape for something else?

At least, don't use it for shooting raw footage or outputting final tape masters. Use the recycled tapes for fleeting purposes like outputting a work in progress.

www.derekmok.com
October 28, 2009 12:57AM
I've used digibeta tapes many times, and never had a problem. In fact, outside of a deck eating one, I can't think of a time where an old tape has burned me.

Contrary to derekmok - if you have decided that multiple passes on a tape is unsafe - I would not use it to output a work in progress - that's my safety net. I'd hate to go to all the trouble of putting up a safety net, then use something that I thought of as sub-par. (If you decide used tape is sub-par.)
October 28, 2009 01:24AM
> Contrary to derekmok - if you have decided that multiple passes on a tape is unsafe - I would not
> use it to output a work in progress - that's my safety net.

A better safety net for recording progress is a QuickTime movie, at full quality, and possibly with timecode burn. A tape copy isn't that useful unless the camera masters were only at DigiBeta quality.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics