Please Help! FCP Movie Flickers/Drops Frames on Final Export

Posted by CommanderMander 
Please Help! FCP Movie Flickers/Drops Frames on Final Export
November 05, 2009 08:40AM
Working in Final Cut 6 on a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 6 gb of ram.

OSX 10.4.11.

I have 6 different projects that are using qt animation files exported from Camtasia for tutorial videos. All the projects are set up in FCP as 1280x720 HD sequence with an animation codec. 5 of them work great! 1 has become very troublesome.

Every time I export from FCP, (1280x720 with animation) every few seconds in the final cut pro movie, it will flicker or totally drop out. I have media managed and moved to other machines, still no luck. Any ideas? All help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Please Help! FCP Movie Flickers/Drops Frames on Final Export
November 05, 2009 09:45AM
Sounds like a playback issue- remember that at 720p, the animation codec has a massive data rate. Unless you're playing back off a RAID it's probably dropping frames to keep up. Try exporting to ProRes or to H.264 instead and you'll get much smoother playback.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
November 05, 2009 09:53AM
Thanks Noah! Just one thing, my client takes these files and encodes them in Silverlight. Last month, we used AIC which worked great for us, but that didn't jive with their Windows machines. Not sure if ProRes will either, but H.264 is universal right? Thanks!
November 05, 2009 09:55AM
>Last month, we used AIC which worked great for us, but that didn't jive with their Windows
>machines

That's because AIC is FCP only. ProRes decodes off both PCs and Macs, provided that they installed Quicktime.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 05, 2009 02:22PM
Right- ProRes and H.264 are both compatible with the Windows version of the QT Player.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
November 05, 2009 08:03PM
Prores is a much much better codec than AIC as well. H.264 is not a great place to go if you're going to be re-editing at any stage, but if it's purely for output, it's clean and light.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics