quicktime 7.6.4 in windows bug

Posted by 14hdcp 
quicktime 7.6.4 in windows bug
November 15, 2009 05:41PM
I just thought this would be worth putting out there. It may even have been discussed to death already. I have just published the first version of my new web site and made move clips available that I created in FCP then output a native self contained QT .mov. I then opened it with Quicktime and exported with "export of the web" and got a very nice mp4. I then included them in my web page and published it. It works great when viewed on Safari on a mac, but anyone who is looking at it on a windows machine where they have upgraded to QT 7.6.4 for windows gets a white screen and can only hear the audio. The solution was to go back one version of QT, and it works fine. I have a pc just for this reason. It's getting discussed on the apple discussion site and I'm sure the guys who write QT are on to it already. I just thought that everyone should be aware of it if their sites are using QT.

Barrett Taylor
Re: quicktime 7.6.4 in windows bug
November 15, 2009 06:06PM
White screen means they're missing the codec. What codec did you pick? An "export for web" default function would probably result in an H.264 file of some sort.

www.derekmok.com
November 15, 2009 06:17PM
Yea, I believe that's right. I'm away from the machine right now, but I didn't mess with the web codec default. I just found it interesting that it would work on an earlier version and not the newest. Though we mention all the time that updates are not always perfect, I would think that they have tested this. Like I said it works great on any version of the mac version, especially v10 on the new macs at the apple store. It's only the windows version that has a problem reading it.

Barrett Taylor
November 15, 2009 07:35PM
That's the second bug report for 7.6.4 - the other being breaking fullscreen preview. Best not to upgrade right now, I think. Wait for the fixes.

November 15, 2009 08:17PM
Please tell that to all the producers that I want to be able to see my clips. Not you personally of course.

Barrett Taylor
November 15, 2009 08:57PM
What OS version are you using please? 7.6.4 doesn't seem to appear in Snow Leopard.
November 15, 2009 09:15PM
I think you've misread my first post or I wasn't clear. I'm working with the older quicktime, I think 7.6.0 on a mac quad. The qt's are fine. I'm still using Studio 2 and osx 10.5. (I do listen to Larry Jordan.) They view fine on all mac's and all versions of QT on a mac. The problem comes when someone tries to look at my web videos on a Windows machine, primarily with XP, since that's all I have to test and probably what is still the most used. "Quicktime for Windows" version 7.6.0 works fine, but if you say yes to updating to 7.6.4, the video goes away.

The snow leopard reference came because I went to the Apple Store in Sherman Oaks, like I do when I need to talk out a problem. I looked at the video on a new IMAC that comes with Snow Leopard pre-installed with QT v10. It worked fine there too.

It's only a problem is on PC's running Windows. This is a problem because many if not most of the producers I hope will see my little clips use this configuration and update everything whenever the little window magically pops up asking if they want to update.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Like I said, I'm sure Apple will fix the problem, in time. I just wanted to let others in LAFCPUG know that this is occurring.

Barrett Taylor
November 15, 2009 11:27PM
Well, if accessibility is so important, then don't use that codec. Export in the older MPEG-4 or H.263 codec, which have been around for much longer.

www.derekmok.com
November 16, 2009 12:12AM
Brilliant

Barrett Taylor
November 16, 2009 10:57AM
Quicktime on Windows PCs has always been a problem for those who want to show video to PC users. Many Windows users have simply stopped downloading the Quicktime updates, due to the 80-or-so MB downloads, which seem to happen weekly. And, with each new version, there seems to be a new bug, replacing the previous bug which was presumably "fixed" with the latest update.

The solution: Create an h.264 file, then use an Adobe Flash player to present it on line.

Travis
VoiceOver Guy and Entertainment Technology Enthusiast
[www.VOTalent.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics