OT: Youtube goes 1080

Posted by strypes 
OT: Youtube goes 1080
November 16, 2009 05:25AM
I'm posting this here for a bit so more guys see it rather than the Compressor folks, and hopefully we'll have a lively discussion, before I move this to the Compressor forum later.

News is out that Youtube will go 1080.

[youtube-global.blogspot.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: OT: Youtube goes 1080
November 16, 2009 11:40AM
Its more like 1080S ... for slideshow. At least with me. Lots of buffering and stuttering.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 16, 2009 11:51AM
as a taste

Toy Story 3 1080p
November 16, 2009 12:33PM
I'm not sure how big the advantage will be for most people. The only advantage I can see is 1080p will upscale to full screen better than 720p but the data rate must be proportionally higher though.

I will say when I watch stuff from Hulu or Netflix I send it out to my 1080p HDTV and, given the content, I'd wish they'd move to 1080p (I have the bandwidth at 30Mbps downstream).

YouTube is entering into the TV/Movie area but I'm not sure 1080p is happening there. I don't know if there's great value in singing babies or dancing kitties at 1080p especially since the additional bandwidth isn't there for some folks. Since the viewer doesn't really get to pick between 720p and 1080p at different bandwidths it means fewer, not more, people being able to see those HD videos.
November 16, 2009 12:43PM
Looks great...but I don't know about anyone else, but the load time on that 1:14 teaser is ridiculously long. The average user will not wait for this.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 16, 2009 01:22PM
>The only advantage I can see is 1080p will upscale to full screen better than 720p

If you watch it from the browser, the flash player will automatically scale down the movie to fit the webpage (anyone tried running a pixel ruler on the page?). Heck. How many home users have 1080 computer screens? And for many guys, they have an effective screen resolution of around half HD size.

But that being said. That trailer looks awesome!! I'm on broadband, so it only takes like 5 seconds to load.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 16, 2009 02:15PM

I'm on broadband, so it only takes like 5 seconds to load.

I am on WiFi...as many people are.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 16, 2009 02:35PM
At home, I'm on mobile broadband, basically this makes my entire kit portable, including the internet connection, and I get internet connection even in a cab.

The bitrate is a little bit high- around 3.3Mbps. May be a little high for some people. I usually go between 2 to 2.5 Mbps, but it also depends on where the server is located. UK sites tend to be slower, as the geographical distance is quite far from Asia, but most US sites go through Taiwan/Japan. There was once when there was something very close to an internet blackout due to an earthquake in Taiwan.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 16, 2009 05:54PM
I have a 10 Mb/s RCN connection-- I decided to wait for the thing to load halfway, about 20 seconds- but then it was like butter. Astounding quality.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Opacity/Audio Levels Adjust dialog with
Command-Option-L !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 16, 2009 08:35PM
Got anything that's not animation yet? Animation always looks good on non CRTs - which is why so many TV sales rooms show animations all day on their flat screens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics