Capture prob -- captures full reel -- but only 30 seconds shows up in FCP??

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
Capture prob -- captures full reel -- but only 30 seconds shows up in FCP??
November 17, 2009 02:58PM
I have captured a tape a couple of times. It's one angle of a guy giving a talk, about an hour long. I do "capture now" and capture it into FCP.

But when I then open the shot, it's only 30 seconds long. There's no "in/out" set next to the shot for some reason.

When I open the clip in Quicktime, I get the full 60 minutes of the clip. It's all there. But FCP only sees it at 30 seconds long, basically the opening bars only. What could be causing this? How do I get FCP to recognize and allow me access to the full clip?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Re: Capture prob -- captures full reel -- but only 30 seconds shows up in FCP??
November 17, 2009 03:01PM
I've not heard of this before. Have you tried trashing FCP preferences?

Also, what version of FCP/OS/QT/system are you running? On what kind of storage is the media stored?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 17, 2009 03:15PM
Sorry, that is:

FCP 6.0.6
OSX 10.5.8
Quicktime 7.6.4

Never had this happen before. Editing normal DV NTSC. Check this out:

[www.mostlymagic.tv]

See the first shot, it's showing the length of the clip as 31 seconds, and the Media Start as 08:00:33:03 and the Media end as 08:01:04:15

That's where it's getting the 31 second length that it's showing me. However -- the actual end of media is 09:02...something. In other words, the t/c is over 60 minutes later, but FCP is seeing it as only 30 seconds later, which I guess is why it's only letting me have 30 seconds of the 61 minutes there.

Yes, tried trashing FCP prefs. Any idea how to manually change "media end"?? This is really bizarre.

Thanks.
one more
November 17, 2009 03:37PM
When I look at the Properties of the clip, I see this:

[www.mostlymagic.tv]

Note how it's showing the media end a fully hour earlier than the actual end of the media when I look at the same clip in Quicktime.

Help...! I've captured and re-captured this clip three times, same thing every time.
November 17, 2009 07:07PM
Okay, I opened it in Quicktime, did a Save As w/a new file name. *That* file, FCP can see the full length. So there seems to be an issue with FCP capturing and not seeing the media end correctly? Never had this before, but have had it with a few tapes here, which I will have to do Save As in Quicktime before I can open in FCP, in order that FCP sees the full length.

Very weird problem...
November 17, 2009 08:16PM
Long shot, but are you using any characters in your file names apart from numbers or letters? things like '/' and '?' can cause weirdness.

November 17, 2009 09:34PM
Nope, nothing out of the ordinary in the file names, thanks.
November 18, 2009 02:32AM
When you open it in Quicktime check to see where the in and out points are, if they're not at the beginning and endof the file reset them. Then do a "save" not save as. I had this problem once and this was my fix and I didn't have to make new clips. Hope this is your problem because its not too bad. Why it happened I don't know but it only happened once.
November 18, 2009 06:06AM
Okay, interesting. Will give that a try. Thanks.
November 18, 2009 06:13AM
Vince -- that worked, thanks. Just did a SAVE of the clip in quicktime. When I opened FCP, it said clip was offline. I went to reconnect, it said the attributes were different, I continued anyway, and then it's all there now. Good workaround, thanks again.
November 18, 2009 09:02AM
Nice work there, Vince.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 18, 2009 12:12PM
I have seen this issue crop up a lot, nice to know the answer. GOOD ONE Vince.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 20, 2009 03:43AM
yeah, good one, Vince!

fwiw, Apple B will re-set the in/outs in quicktime player to "Select None"
and Apple A will "Select All"

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics