Importing HDV from Sony Z1e

Posted by Chris Rawlence 
Importing HDV from Sony Z1e
November 29, 2009 06:47AM
Hi, I'm running Snow Leopard and trying to import HDV into FCP 5.1.4 from a Sony Z1e. I have checked that all the settings are correct - on the camera and in FCP - but FCP questions my settings and consequently won't import. It works fine down-converting same footage to DV and adjusting FCP settings accordingly - but I need the HDV. I've imported HDV successfully in the past but can't recall whether this was prior to installing Snow Leopard. Could this be the cable, which worked fine with the DV? Is it a Snow Leopard bug? Is it the Sony driver? Or something I'm just doing wrong? Thanks, Chris Rawlence
Re: Importing HDV from Sony Z1e
November 29, 2009 06:56AM
It could be that your settings are not being retained in the current project, so start a new project, change the easy setup to your HDV flavour of choice, save, then restart FCP with the camera connected as normal (making sure it is set NOT to downconvert)

November 29, 2009 08:54AM
Hey, Chris -- what Jude said ... plus this (I have the Z1U):

Set the camera to Automatic transfer. Look into the VCR menu of the camera and instead of HDV, select Auto. Then try and capture. Also, make sure you do the disconnect and reconnect of the firewire cable every time you make a change in the camera transfer settings, while the camera is disconnected from the computer. Follow the camera instructions religiously.

I use the FCP 5.04 and I'm writing this from memory (I'm on a Vaio) so try it ....
November 29, 2009 05:52PM
[but I need the HDV]

Why can't you ingest that into ProRes422 SQ? That's worked for me.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Invoke your Opacity/Audio Levels Adjust dialog with
Command-Option-L !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
November 30, 2009 05:15AM
Sorry - but what us ProRes422 SQ and where do I find it as an option? Still having the same problem as originally described, in spite of following all advice and double checking. Any ideas? It's been fine before. Could this be Snow Leopard? CR
November 30, 2009 05:49AM
5.1.4 does not have ProRes. It only became available for editing with v6.
November 30, 2009 07:21AM
From this Apple Discussions thread - [discussions.apple.com] - it looks as if there may be incompatibility between FCP 5.1.4 and Snow Leopard. Would an upgrade to FCP 7/FCS 3 solve this? Or should I take their advice and revert to plain old Leopard? Or might the latest Snow Leopard patch be the solution? Chris R
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics