FCP to DVD for duplication

Posted by PG 
PG
FCP to DVD for duplication
December 06, 2009 05:54PM
Burning a DVD Master from FCP causes a generational loss due to compression I am told, so if I then duplicate additional DVDs from the DVD master am I incurring additional loss of quality or is it merely zeros and ones with no loss?

As always thanks for your input.
Re: FCP to DVD for duplication
December 06, 2009 06:13PM
You mean a DVD you can play in a DVD player or using a DVD-R as a place to store video as data? The former is of course a generational loss but only the master disc takes the hit. The second depends on what compression format you take. I'd suggest googling a bit about DVD authoring and compressing video...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
December 06, 2009 06:48PM
For the first question, you should read up on compression and DVD authoring as Noah mentioned. It's potentially a lot of information.

> so if I then duplicate additional DVDs from the DVD master am I incurring additional loss of
>quality or is it merely zeros and ones with no loss?

If you demux the Mpeg2 video from the VOB files and re-author with that, it's theoretically lossless, but it depends on how you are doing it. If you burn a disc image and make replicas of that, it's also lossless.

www.strypesinpost.com
PG
December 06, 2009 09:08PM
I should have given more information RE: this matter. My fault.

Completed editing a 45 minute project iin FCP.
Produced a QT self contained movie. No additional compression.
Authored a master disc using DVD Pro.
Burned it to a DVD-R as a master disc straight from DVD Pro.
Master disc placed in a duplicating machine and duplicated 10 DVDs for corporate use.

Any substantial loss by duplicating using this method? If there is I could not determine it but would like to know.

Your input please.

Thanks for your input guys. It's always appreciated.
December 06, 2009 09:24PM
Well anything you make in DVDSP is MPEG-2- so the no additional compression is strictly speaking not true here. Once a DVD is a DVD- you can make as many duplicates from that master without losing yet another generation. But anything you pass through DVDSP to author a DVD is going to be compressed to MPEG-2. Otherwise it will not be playable as a DVD. And yes- MPEG-2 is substantially compressed but then again anyone used to watching DVDs is used to MPEG2. So if the finished disc looks ok to your eyes, go with it.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
PG
December 06, 2009 10:27PM
Thanks Noah. This is the information that I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics