OT: GOOGLE Chrome...

Posted by grafixjoe 
OT: GOOGLE Chrome...
December 09, 2009 10:39PM
SMOKIN' fast new no-nonsense browser for Macs. I'm using it right now & love it. Bubye Safari / Firefox. Get it in ya:

[www.google.com]

I will move this to News & Announcements after a few days in the cafe grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: OT: GOOGLE Chrome...
December 09, 2009 11:59PM
I find it as fast as Safari. But still playing with it...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 10, 2009 12:01AM
Safari? Fast?
Shane's honing his comedic skills!
I suppose if we're into car metaphors, if something crashed as often as Safari did, it must be fast!

www.derekmok.com
December 10, 2009 12:05AM
I just started using the new Safari when I upgraded to Snow Leopard, thinking I would use it to download Firefox, but to tell the truth it's so fast and efficient I haven't bothered to get Firefox yet.

I haven't liked Safari since it first came out, but these days I kinda like it - especially the 'top sites' view where it collects images of your top home pages, so you can quickly click to go to them.

December 10, 2009 12:24AM
Gotta test it. I had google earth on my laptop, and after a while my firewall kept telling me google is trying to run updates.

I liked Safari 4 initially, but I can't get it to access iTunesU. After a short while it hangs, and it's not the spinning beachball, and i can't even toggle windows or quit safari.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 10, 2009 03:12AM
I find Safari 4 pretty fast. It was faster than Firefox with most things. But then again I ain't a web power user, so what do I know? Like a color correction noob thinking an AKAI HDTV is as good as a Panasonic Broadcast HD monitor... that's my level with online browsing.

I miss Netscape and the comet...

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 10, 2009 02:28PM
Hi All --

This is even more OT --
My 93 year old father is using FF3.5 --

I just visited him and he had over 20 Tab windows Open-
Mac was locked up --

Is there a way to Turn Off tabs ???
I looked on Mac and have searched online with no luck --

Thanks--Jay--
December 10, 2009 02:37PM
Its in the prefs of whatever browser you are using. But if he is used to tabs you might not want to change it

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 10, 2009 02:57PM
>My 93 year old father is using FF3.5 --

No disrespect, Jay, but why don't you get him a hobby that doesn't require technical troubleshooting? Like oil painting?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 10, 2009 03:30PM
December 10, 2009 04:24PM
As fast as a Safari...that's a good one - lmfao. Safari is a dog...crashes both my Wife & Son's Mac laptops daily. Firefox kills Safari as well with functionality & speed. Chrome (in my experience) is much quicker that both browsers on my MBP...crazy fast. It depends on how your machine is set up and how dependable & fluid your internet connection is. I keep a clean house grinning smiley

December 10, 2009 04:31PM
For me Safari and Firefox are already about as fast as my broadband can deliver. I'd be more interested in better overall UI. Loves me some browsers but wow they've evolved so little in the past 10 years...

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
December 10, 2009 10:36PM
None of my browsers crash, ever. I use Safari for daily surfing and as a Google Reader client and FF as a Banking/paypal etc browser that clears all caches on quit.
The main thing I LOVE about Safari is the automatic shortcuts for the bookmarks bar. First Item in the bar is apple-1 and so on. So easy to go between regular read forums and pages and adjust your shortcuts as jobs change and go to pages change.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 10, 2009 10:57PM
Yeah and I get a sub one second load on Safari now. Less than three seconds from clicking the icon to having LAFCPUG open. Bit nice.

December 11, 2009 04:11AM
Try accessing a link like this:

[deimos.apple.com]

I can't access it on two computers on Safari 4 and I have no problems with it on FF or Opera.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 11, 2009 05:01AM
Works fine here on Safari 4.0.4 Strypes - it just opens iTunes, yes?

December 11, 2009 05:10AM
Safari doesn't do anything here. I clicked on it, went out for dinner, came back and Safari's still loading, and it refuses to let me switch windows... And I tried this on 2 computers running 10.5.8- a G5 and a MBP.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 11, 2009 09:17AM
Weird. When I click that link I get a window that says 'One Moment Please' for about half a second, then iTunes opens with the iTunes store open on iTunes U.

December 11, 2009 10:30AM
Weird. Just tried it, and I got it working on a PPC... just not on my laptop. Probably need a reinstallation or it could be my firewall...

www.strypesinpost.com
December 11, 2009 11:17AM
Chrome is turning out to be slightly faster. Just what I need...something that FEEDS my forum addiction.

POST MORE! FASTER!

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2009 12:56AM
OK...ANNOYING THING.

When I have a movie on my iDisk, and give the direct address. In Chrome I cannot click on the controls. In Safari, Firefox, I can. Try for yourself.

Here is the promo I cut for a History Channel show I cut:

[homepage.mac.com]

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 15, 2009 03:10AM
Yea, I got this in Chrome.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 15, 2009 09:45AM
Yeah...a few bugs. This IS a BETA, you know. Send in a report.

btw...you said I cut twice. I guess you cut it winking smiley

December 15, 2009 10:09AM
We could. I'm still wondering if it's something to do with QT and html 5. The download option for QT is kinda broken on Safari 4. No issues on Firefox. Can't remember if it worked on Opera or not.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 15, 2009 10:48AM
Bug submitted. And Yes, I REALLY wanted you to know I cut it!

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics