R3D QT Proxie Problem

Posted by thadnurski 
R3D QT Proxie Problem
January 05, 2010 04:14AM
The problem I am having with my R3D footage is that it plays back completely black. I learned of this problem when the Cameraman was stressed. He said he could play it back on the R3D camera but he couldn't get it to play on his computer.
I ended up doing some research and finding out that others have had similar problems. I found that this problem usually exists because someone on set fiddles with the settings in the camera that don't affect the image, but change how the QT proxies are interpreted.
Through my research I found out if you take it into Red Alert and click default you can once again see the image. My problem arises when I'm trying to wrap the R3D footage in FCP using Log and Transfer.
Although I can hit default in Red Alert, I'm not aware of how to do so in FCP, and for some reason I can't get FCP to acknowledge the clips that I've taken into Red Alert and hit default on. When FCP imports the image it once again comes in as a black image.
I am not quite sure what to do about this problem. I am capable of making ProRes files, but that is not what the client wants. They want the footage to be wrapped using Log and Transfer.
I did have one person tell me to create an RSX "look file" and then load that as the default look inside Log and Transfer. I know how to create the RSX, but I am not aware of how to load it as a default look.
I only have half of this situation figured out. Any help and guidance would be GREATLY appreciated.
Re: R3D QT Proxie Problem
January 05, 2010 07:53AM
This took me three minutes to find, no Googling, it's in the FCP RED whitepaper that you get with the free RED FCP installer, that takes 10 seconds to download. (I just tested that)

From the RED FCP whitepaper, page 10
To export image-processing presets from RED ALERT! to use in Final Cut Pro:
1. Open RED ALERT!, and choose File > Open R3D to open a REDcode media file to
use to create your preset.
2. Use the controls at the left of the RED ALERT! window to adjust the image in order
to create the look you want.
3. When you?re finished, choose File > Save Preset.
4. Open the following directory to save the .rlx file into:
/Library/Application Support/REDAlert/Presets
5. Click Save.

The next time you open Final Cut Pro, you?ll be able to choose your custom image
processing preference from the Action pop-up menu of the Log and Transfer window.
Note ? The Curves, Gamma Space, Color Space, OLPF Compensation, and Denoise
settings in RED ALERT! are ignored when exporting image-processing presets.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 05, 2010 01:30PM
Exactly WHY do they want wrapped R3Ds as compared to ProRes files? Conforming in Color? Because there are other ways to do it.

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
January 05, 2010 03:36PM
Andrew, thank you, that fixed my problem!
Kevin, I don't really know their exacts reasons. That is just what they said they wanted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics