Did you see?

Posted by Dan Brockett 
Did you see?
January 07, 2010 05:09PM
Did you guys see this today, announced at CES, shipping this Fall?

As someone who has been researching and learning all about the immense challenges of 3D production with current dual camera rigs, this camera promises to change the game, even as the game is currently being written in digital 3D production.

[pro-av.panasonic.net]

Dan
Re: Did you see?
January 07, 2010 06:15PM
Wow, I haven't seen that since Canon's double-eyed prototype GL at MacWorld Expo six years ago!

Cool. Can't wait till the glasses are gone.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
January 07, 2010 06:16PM
yeah, sweet price point too.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 08, 2010 04:00AM
So i was very curious and went to check out that camera at panasonic booth today at ces. Got in late so did not get to see to much today. Well first off i feel this camera dissapoints on so many levels. I grilled the rep about everything i could on spec wise and this is everything he was willing to give up.

So this camera is basically to hmc 150s glued together with the additional 3d stuff they added. So frame rates and everything is same is 150 but just times two. So two onboard recorders to sd cards recording at h264 and 24mb a sec. So not really a pro product more prosumer. I could not get the rep to say anything about the censors in the camera and said at nab they would say more so maybe some hope but since recording at that data rate and in that form i doubt it. I did ask why not use their intra 100 like on 300 they just came out with that is less money and he just smirked at me like he couldnt' believe i even knew anything about this stuff. Basically from what i got is that at nab they are going to introduce a higher end version of 3d camera and i think they made this to set a bar for consumer version so higher end one would cost quite a bit more and be justified. Still very cool camera and im sure will sell but just think of hmc 150 and if that is not good enough for your needs then this does not apply. Im sure we will see twin scarlet setups when it gets released and for close to same price. The sdxc cards did not impress either considering they are very expensive and sustained write speeds were not listed and guessing not to impressive or would have been stated. So why spend so much more when compact flash is cheaper and still faster. Well didn't really get to see much more, but plan on trying to see rest tomorrow and report back here for anyone interested. I plan on seeing the new sony cameras and canon cameras and seeing what all i can find out. Want to see the flash recorders from maxell and data video and focus enhancments. And pretty much anything else that might catch my eye. If anyone has something in particular they want me to check out and try to find out as much as can let me know.
January 08, 2010 09:26AM
Thanks for verifying what I had thought when I saw the images yesterday. I was thinking it looked exactly like a doctored up HMC150, which is not a bad camera for the money. Yes, AVCHD is a prosumer kind of low end format, basically a better, more efficient, solid state version of HDV. The prototype 3D camera that Panasonic showed at NAB 2009 did have a different lens array and did have an AVC Ultra badge on the lcd, which would be what you are talking about probably, dual streams of AVC Intra. I still think that camera may debut at NAB 2010 for obviously more money.

Still, you have to hand it to Panasonic, they are definitely first to market with something that looks viable as a working prosumer tool.

Dan
January 08, 2010 10:58AM
Whoa...

* drool *

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 08, 2010 11:22AM
Great report and thanks for this. Guess all folks want to see the new tablets. Doubt you can get your hands on them but you might try. Really appreciate your efforts here. Yeah, posts are coming in about the new Panny 3D cam. 21K does seem now a bit steep for 2 150s glued together, but hey, its a step forward and looks cute, kind of like a friendly robot.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 08, 2010 12:32PM
Have you guys seen the new 3D Camcorder with the integrated Edit / Compositing / 3D system?

He's called the iFreak...

January 08, 2010 12:51PM
I want one!

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 08, 2010 12:56PM
Not a big stretch at all...Wall-E already has the "Macintosh chime", which means he's probably running on OS256.5.6 "Steel Cockroach".

I don't wanna edit by diddling between his "legs", though.

www.derekmok.com
January 08, 2010 06:11PM
I have been speaking to Tim Dashwood and most of the other big players in 3D production and post this week and believe me, what is revolutionary about this new Panasonic is probably not apparent to most non-3D shooters.

Do you realize that with dual camera 3D rigs like everyone is forced to use right now, you basically cannot zoom, must recalibrate both cameras as far as interocular distance and convergence every time you breath on the camera, touch it or move it? That is the big deal with Panasonic's design, it is taking all of the adjustments that must now be performed with a dual camera setup manually and building them into one, easy to use box. That is what makes this camera a game changer, not the possibly low end codec or low end construction.

If you figure two HMC150s plus a rig to hold them and calibrate them for 3D shooting would cost about $11 or $12k, plus you would have to manipulate two separate streams of media from two SD cards from two cameras, you can see that 21k list is not outrageous. The price will easily be worth it for the ease of use and freedom that a self contained dual stream 3D camera will feature. From what most of the Stereographers I spoke with tell me (there's a new term for you), shooting with a 3D rig today is very much akin to shooting with a huge blimped film camera from the 40's or 50's. The rig is physically huge, heavy and you cannot really do much handheld or with zooms. If you move the camera, it must be with precision ala Steadicam, dolly or jib. You know, real film making?

I am looking forward to trying out this new camera as soon as I can get my paws on it.

Dan
January 08, 2010 10:42PM
Stereographer. I like that Dan. So a Director of Stereography is a "DS"? That rocks. Awesome discussion Dan...love talking about new stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics