How to Merge Clips when picture at 23.976 and audio at 30fps

Posted by isthisoneunique 
How to Merge Clips when picture at 23.976 and audio at 30fps
January 14, 2010 04:19PM
I have a feature that has just shown up. A number of sound people were involved in shooting footage last year outside the US - don't have any easy way to find out gear and settings. Sound from one recordist will not sync using merge clips. I believe this may be due to frame rate issues and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion/workaround.

Picture ProRes HQ 23.976 at 1/4 res (1024X512) from the RED files - built using Clipfinder.

Audio individual mono .WAV tracks.

The first 3-10 audio takes from each day show themselves as 30fps. When I try to sync to slate using in points set to the clapper, the resulting Merged Clip is vastly out of sync - by 3 to 100 seconds. Basically by the number of seconds the sound clip prelaps the video clip.

All subsequent audio takes for the day show as 24fps and sync just fine using Merge Clip.

I'm using FCP 6.0.6 on OS 10.5.8 Intel Mac Pro

Thank you for your time
Re: How to Merge Clips when picture at 23.976 and audio at 30fps
January 14, 2010 06:34PM
"the resulting Merged Clip is vastly out of sync - by 3 to 100 seconds. Basically by the number of seconds the sound clip prelaps the video clip. "

how are you merging?
that sounds like you are merging using in point?
maybe merge by TC wont work with different TC rates, and it is defaulting to Merge by in-point

you could try placing in points on the clap, then merging by in-point.

i much prefer syncing my video and audio in a timeline.
when they are synced up,
i go through the timeline and LINK the clips,
then copy paste them into a new bin in the browser.

nick
Re: How to Merge Clips when picture at 23.976 and audio at 30fps
January 14, 2010 06:46PM
Thanks Nick;

That will work.

Actually I am merging based on the in points, they did not have sync TC. Would have though an in point was an in point. But obviously mistaken.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics