Prores footage to DVCpro50 deck

Posted by Jay M 
Prores footage to DVCpro50 deck
January 20, 2010 06:58PM
We are considering buying a bunch of Aja Ki Pro recorders for the multi-cam shoot on our television show.

Right now we record direct to disk in DVCpro50, use a DVCpro50 timeline, and output via FW to a DVCpro50 deck to be sent out for duplication.

If we use an AJA Ki Pro which only records in PreRes, What should the workflow be to get the best possible quality into the DVCpro50 deck?

We will also have some DVCpro footage from tape that will be captured into FCP.

thanks,
~Jay
Re: Prores footage to DVCpro50 deck
January 20, 2010 11:54PM
If you record in ProRes, then you cannot output that to a DVCPRO deck via firewire. You now need an HD capture card or IO device to output via SDI. All can downconvert to SD no problem.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 21, 2010 10:29AM
The KiPro would do this for you- downconvert, SDI out- the whole enchilada. It rocks.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 21, 2010 12:50PM
I should have been more specific.

We are still in the early 90's we don't have HD cameras. We will be recording in standard definition with the ProRes codec.

Does that change anything? Can SD Prores footage be in a DVCpro50 project? We can upgrade to FCS 7 if that would help.

Our deck does have SDI, and we can use one of the old computers with an AJA card to output, but I'd prefer firewire if that's an option.

thanks,
~Jay
January 21, 2010 01:35PM
>Can SD Prores footage be in a DVCpro50 project?

Why do that? Why edit in a project with a different compression? Edit in a ProRes SD project. This is doable with FCP 6.

If you capture as ProRes, then firewire is no longer an option...you'll have to use the capture card.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 21, 2010 01:39PM
Yeah there's zero reason to ever introduce DVCPRO50 into a Ki Pro workflow. Shoot Prores, edit Prores, deliver ProRes. If you need a DVCPRO50 tape- just run out ProRes to SDI and hit record on the deck. That's it.

Noah

Final Cut Studio Training, featuring the HVX200, EX1, EX3, DVX100, DVDSP and Color at [www.callboxlive.com]!
Author, RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera available now at: [www.amazon.com].
Editors Store- Gifts and Gear for Editors: [www.editorsstore.com]
January 21, 2010 03:37PM
Thanks,

Next week my question will be "how do I get RS-422 and SDI to work properly?" winking smiley

Our show will contain some tape footage. I assume that should be converted to ProRes?

I'm a bit surprised that FCP can't have multiple codecs on the same timeline.

thanks,
~Jay
January 21, 2010 03:44PM
>"how do I get RS-422 and SDI to work properly?"

Uh...just connect them properly via a capture card and you should be good to go. That's a pretty standard connection. One I use daily for inputs, and weekly for outputs. How would you get them to work IMPROPERLY?

>Our show will contain some tape footage. I assume that should be converted to ProRes?

Well, it should be captured to the same format you are working with. Or capture to the native format if DVCPRO 50. You can capture DVCPRO 50 and put that in a ProRes timeline just fine.

>I'm a bit surprised that FCP can't have multiple codecs on the same timeline.

IT DOES! That's not what I am saying. I am saying that if you are using PRORES, you CANNOT output to a DVCPRO 50 deck via firewire. That's all!

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
January 21, 2010 04:58PM
ok, thanks for clarifying that!

So would you suggest using a ProRes timeline with both DVCpro50 and Prores clips? Then output via SDI?

And If I understand you right, a ProRes clip in a DVCpro50 timeline will NOT output via FW?

Our Ki Pros are on a UPS truck right now, hopefully we'll see them today for some testing.

I hope there is a free slot in our Mac Pro for a AJA card.

~Jay
January 21, 2010 05:01PM
>So would you suggest using a ProRes timeline with both DVCpro50 and Prores clips? Then output via SDI?

If you don't want to convert everything to ProRes, I don't see the harm in this at all. Mixing formats like this is fine. FRAME RATES would be the issue, but that isn't one here.

>a ProRes clip in a DVCpro50 timeline will NOT output via FW?

Well, it would render to that DVCPRO 50 codec...so it might work at that point. But your capture card with SDI would be far more accurate than Firewire. But it will work.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics