map with travel path

Posted by rickman 
map with travel path
February 10, 2010 09:44PM
Hi,
Not sure where to post this as I don't know what to call this.
You have seen clips where there is a map and then there is a line running across it like the path of somebody's trip. Like a plane's flight pattern right? (me thinks Indy Jones used this when he went to Nepal)
So How do I do that? I have an aerial photo I want to pan with this line marching across on top of it.
Is this an FCP project? or Motion?

thanks
Rick
Re: map with travel path
February 10, 2010 10:32PM
Motion can do that.
February 11, 2010 03:11AM
use paint in Motion.
you can try with the Paint Tool itself with " write on " enabled but but it aint very convenient for that

use Bezier Tool, yes... Shape Bezier Tool.

create you path with some points from San Francisco to Katmandou

don't close the shape, don't use " fill" but "contour". The contour will do the trick, (give it some width)

add : Library/Behaviors/Shape/Write on

voilà

---------------------------------
A Day late & a Dollar-short Productions
February 11, 2010 07:28AM
i've just finished a job doing this travel-map effect . .

1- artwork the map/place names/red line in photoshop

2- export all the elements as separate png layers

3- bring all layers into FCP and using a 4 point matt keyframe a reveal on the red line layer

once complete export as a quicktime, re-import then place over your travel shots, change composite mode to screen or overlay, then using the motion parameters simply keyframe each place name to the centre of the screen. - the end result gives the effect of scanning over the map as the red line appears.
February 11, 2010 09:43AM
iMovie '09 has a kick ass map generator built-in
[www.kenstone.net]

Dan
February 11, 2010 10:18AM
imovie has sure come a long way since 1999! a quick-fix but pretty cool . . .
February 11, 2010 12:32PM
Maps are always lame because when people think of a map, they think it can't be "done up" to be interesting... so the maps just sit there and a line just wipes on. BOR-ING. I would do this in After Effects (you can use Motion if you don't have AE) making a 3D layer out of the map itself and laying it down on an angle af if you are flying over it and using either Photoshop or illutsrator to draw a stroked path with the pen tool. That would also be a 3D layer that reveals itself over the map like it's shooting up into the air and down to it's destination. You can use multiple stroked paths to make it zig-zag in space. Add some clouds on the space. Be creative. People will say "wow, that is cool!"

If it's not a big deal, Dan's suggestion will be fine.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

February 11, 2010 01:48PM
Joey,
Would love to see you write a tutorial article on your method. It sounds like a great way to do it.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
February 11, 2010 03:53PM
Yeah, I second that! I got some maps I need to produce in the coming months.
February 11, 2010 05:11PM
I don't have a method Steve. I think in pictures then use the software to shape my visions. 90% of the time, I can't tell you how I did it...I have to break down the project then I go "...is that how I did that? I don't remember doing that...!". I use all aspects of the software & plug-ins to achieve an image or a moving image. I don't use it like the book tells you to use it. I shape the images until I am pleased (and the client is pleased, of course). It's like asking a painter for a tutorial. That's why I do consulting work...because I can work with someone one-on-one, but I do not write tutorials.

I did play with a map I downloaded from the internet...will post a Vimeo video as soon as the "waiting period" clears in 45 minutes thumbs up

February 11, 2010 05:26PM
Excellent, well worth seeing. Look at it as a way to stretch yourself. Imagine you were teaching someone to do the same thing. You just jot down the steps and viola, you have your tutorial.
Loved what you did. Now to figure it out.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
February 11, 2010 08:40PM
...a clean version on Vimeo:

After Effects CS4 / camera / 2 lights / a stroked path / a jpg

Very basic stuff arranged to look not-so-basic. Your clients will love you for the effort.

I should prep projects like this and package them on a DVD for sale. Some mods and other members all have stuff for sale in their signatures. Hmmm.........

February 12, 2010 01:43AM
Wow, Joey!

I just watched your Demo reel and the Tiburon thing. That's truly excellent work. The Tiburon piece is riveting.

Much respect.

Harry.
February 12, 2010 10:22AM
Thank you harry...nice of you to say grinning smiley

February 12, 2010 06:02PM
Many thanks for the wonderful ideas guys!
That's why I check in from time to time.

Rick
February 13, 2010 11:17AM
I am also in the need of some decent maps, any recommended sources?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
February 13, 2010 11:23AM
The Perry-Castañeda Library at UT is the canonical source for vintage maps. Most of the maps in their online collection are in the public domain, but be fastidious about checking the rights.

February 13, 2010 11:41AM
Thanks, appreciate the info.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
February 13, 2010 12:56PM
Keep in mind...the map I used in that animation was a huge .jpg (2500 x 2500). That's not big enough if you want to do a galactic zoom right down to street level. I wouldn't even recommend using jpgs at all as artifacts become visible and they're just plain ugly when they do. You need an EPS map and activate "Continuous Rasterization" on the After Effects layer. That forces the EPS vector image to stay sharp no matter how close you get to it with the camera.

As far as finding images, GOOGLE is your friend (it's how I found the map I used in the sample animation):

[www.publicdomainsherpa.com]

February 13, 2010 01:21PM
Joe, Wow, those EPS vector maps are expensive! Thanks for all the info. I bookmarked everything
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics