hardware or software?

Posted by rmilestone 
hardware or software?
February 25, 2010 05:26PM
Working in FCP 7.0.1 OS 10.5.8. All systems were working fine.
Started a new project DV 25 unknown frame rate and I captured at 29.97. The footage did not play correctly when viewed in viewer and sent to cinescreen output. It would play a few frames then freeze and then continue many frames later. Problem did not apprear at first in footage placed on timeline but after a few plays it would freeze too. All the while the images play perfectly and smoothly in viewer and canvas windows (on separate monitor).
At first, older projects seemed to play with no problems. Or so I thought. But in subsequent days all the projects seem to have developed the same problem: viewer and canvas play smoothly but output to cinescreen has stops and stalls. This goes away when playing at "raw" resolution but returns when "fullscreen".
I have tried different audio/video settings to no benefit.
I have repaired permissions and trashed prefs to no benefit.
The output to the cinescreen freezes while images continue to play normally in viewer and canvas. Then playback resumes on cinescreen at later frame. Refreshing the video output (Alt F12) or redoing Cmd F12 improves for a few viewings, then the problem returns.
Have never seen this before in my system. Does anyone know what causes this?
I do not think it is a cinescreen hardware prob because video, quicktime, etc plays full screen on that monitor but not when sent from FCP, I wonder if it is a setting Ive blown in FCP?? Have tried various settings to no benefit. Did not think it was a graphics card issue because everything plays OK in viewer and canvas.
All help appreciated. I have gone to the limit of my troubleshooting. Ron
Re: hardware or software?
February 25, 2010 05:32PM
Where a "cinescreen" is what exactly? The only uses of that word I'm personally familiar with are a ground glass for a 35mm DOF adapter, and a brand-name of actual, well, screens. Maybe that's just my ignorance though.

If you're talking about a broadcast monitor, how is it connected to your system, what kind of I/O board do you have, and how is the I/O board configured?

February 25, 2010 11:53PM
I am talking about the Apple Cinescreen(30"winking smiley which is simply Apple's brand of LCD monitor (a two LCD screen setup) which interfaces with the DVI port. I do not have an output card or broadcast monitor LCD. I usually use the view menu video output set to Cinescreen full screen and get a (sampled) smooth output from whatever window is active at the time. For some reason, this has stopped working smoothly and I have no idea why.

If anyone has had this experience and can suggest a fix please let me know. Ron
February 26, 2010 12:31AM
There are two similar posts on C Cow about people who upgraded to 7.0.1 and saw this same problem for the first time. Any body else seeing this?
February 26, 2010 03:27AM

Apple Cinescreen(30"winking smiley

You mean the Apple Cinema Display 30" - often the net shorthand for this is ACD 30"

I've not had this problem on mine; but I am on Snow Leopard so there is a major difference in my setup anyway.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 26, 2010 08:42AM
[Have never seen this before in my system. ]

And you're running two 30" Apple Cinema Displays from WHAT? A MacBook? A G5 with stock card?

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke Big Timecode window with Control-T!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 26, 2010 09:52AM
Sorry. I am running an ACD 24" and an ACD 30" both off a MAC PRO DUO QUAD late 2008 model. it uses an ATI Radeon X1900 XT card. I do not think it is my config since this has worked for me for two years (at least until the 7.0.1 upgrade).

I have continued to trouble shoot, and it appears that the old projects are not affected as long as I ensure that the Audio/Video output settings are correct.

But clips from this one project are still not playing, and I am beginning to think that this is a problem with the specific project: the capture settings of the individual clips are not matching with the audio/video output settings. I have crossed checked the sequence settings with the output settings and they seem identical but there is something fishy here I still can't pin down. (It is a DV 25 project running off a 2 TB GRAID FW 800 (almost empty) so I do not think the problem is drive speed. ) It is not a sequence/settings mismatch because the problem is worse in the viewer before the clips get to the sequence. Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics