RECOVER EMPTIED TRASH

Posted by ERIC B 
RECOVER EMPTIED TRASH
March 03, 2010 01:42AM
I screwed up big time and flushed away all my capture scratch before I realized it didn't copy over to the new drive.

What if anything can I do?
Re: RECOVER EMPTIED TRASH
March 03, 2010 01:53AM
Data recovery. Very expensive, and you may not get all the files back.

If you want the best chances at getting the files back, unplug the drive in question and don't use it. Once the data is written over by new data, it's gone.

If you have timecoded tapes, you should just recapture from tape. If it was tapeless, go to the backups. If you don't have either, then you need to reassess your work habits.

www.derekmok.com
March 03, 2010 02:04AM
Here's a weird one - the footage is all whited out with the red lines saying media offline. For some reason, the movie is playing in the canvas - How do I record that?

I've tried to tape and export, but it's black.

I need what's in the canvas
March 03, 2010 03:16AM
are you sure the Trash is empty ? (if yes, don't shut down your computer !, don't unplug the drive)

It is possible that you are actually playing ... "renders". You say your playing in the canvas, right ? So ... it's from the Timeline. Timeline might be still linked to render files. (Just a guess)

What about playing the clips in the viewer ?

If you are playing from the Timeline : what happen if you drag and drop the clips from the Timeline to an empty bin in browser ?

a this point you can either :

- "export" the clips (from menu "File"winking smiley , (one by one or batching )

- or use the media manager to "copy files" (best way)
March 03, 2010 03:36AM
It sounds like it's playing from render files. Go to your render folder and find the QT movie.

In these sorta cases, you should look back at your source tapes and archived shoot footage.

Another option is to bring it to a data recovery center, or you can look at software based products like these:

[www.stellarinfo.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2010 05:16AM
yeah, most likely you are now just playing the render files.

that could be good: as in you were going to transcode to another codec anyway.

or it could be bad, like you rammed the wrong footage into the wrong timeline,
and now all your HD media is rendered as DV.
tracking doen the render files could be tricky some clips may be split across more than one render.
but you can always just export your timeline.

either way you will have to write the original clip's TC & reel number into this new copy.

re-capture is most likely the best option.

nick
March 03, 2010 01:38PM
try Data Rescue 3 -- don't toss anything else or add anything to the drive you want to recover from -- it's worked for us a few times - takes an enormous amount of time -- you may have to let it run for nearly 24 hours to find what you're looking for
March 03, 2010 06:27PM
Just plug in your cloned backup drive.....easy.....
March 03, 2010 07:11PM
How do I know if I have one and where to find it?
March 03, 2010 08:18PM
> How do I know if I have one and where to find it?

If you didn't make one, and don't even know if you ever made one, that means you don't have one.

Peter, I think if a user had the habit of backing up his/her drives, s/he would know to go there.

www.derekmok.com
March 05, 2010 12:23PM
so Eric, how did your story end ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics