Trouble digitizing DVCProHD via Firewire

Posted by preditor 
Trouble digitizing DVCProHD via Firewire
March 12, 2010 08:13PM
I'm continually having problems digitizing from my Panasonic HD1200A using Firewire. The tapes are shot on a Panasonic 900 camera in 720p HD...the computer is a dual core G5. Skips occur during capture which throws the audio out of sync. I guess the next thing to try is to bring it in via the Blackmagic card, SDI.

Thanks!
Re: Trouble digitizing DVCProHD via Firewire
March 13, 2010 08:55AM
Should work via FW just fine. Are you using capture now (which sometimes loses audio synch) or are you setting ins and outs and then using batch capture (even if it's just one long clip)?.
March 13, 2010 09:54AM
I never had trouble via firewire, except that audio was always 2 frames behind picture. I just shifted. Now I always capture as DVCPRO HD via firewire, and it is rock solid in sync.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 13, 2010 11:50AM
Always setting ins and outs. It appears to be dropped frames, as you can see the picture jump during capture and then the audio goes out of sync. Sometimes I get the timecode break error at the end, but this happens with all captures with tapes shot with different cameras...always broadcast cameras, ie: Panasonic 900, Varicam, etc.
March 13, 2010 02:08PM
Okay, here's a couple of odd things. I was able to successfully digitize from the DVCPro machine with my Powerbook Pro via firewire without issue, but when trying to play the clip from the viewer or play the timeline, audio would play and the picture would be frozen. I would need to unplug the firewire cable from the DVCPro, quit Final Cut and bring it back up. Then all would be fine. I'm capturing to a 1TB GRaid via 800 firewire. Is it a bussing issue? Too much firewire in and out? Once I've captured on my Powerbook Pro, I can then move the Graid over to the G5 and play and edit the video without issue. I'd sure like to solve this, since I use both systems at times and would like to start editing projects on one and move to the other when on the road.

Thanks for your input!
March 13, 2010 05:57PM
It is a bussing issue. If you are capturing from the deck via firewire, and then to a firewire drive, you really need two firewire busses.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 14, 2010 06:18AM
Yep, sounds like you're overloading the internal fw bus.

Try one of these or similar to give yourself an additional bus.

[www.sonnettech.com]

Connect your 1200a via FW400 to your G5. Connect your external FW800 GRaid drive with your media on it to the additional bus.

Got an older G5 here with exactly that configuration and it works fine with all flavors of DVCProHD.

Clay
March 14, 2010 03:09PM
Thanks for the help...yes, it's a non-Intel G5...the Graid is on the 800 firewire and the DVCProHD deck is on the 400. I presume I would just add this card to the G5. Is it the same issue with the Macbook Pro? Would a SATA drive help?
March 15, 2010 04:11AM
Yes, just install it in your non-Intel G5. Make sure the card you're buying is compatible and of course that you have a free slot. If you go for the Sonnet, send a mail to their support for more info and which slot to use.

For the MacBookPro there's this (again, check compatibility):

[www.sonnettech.com]

Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics