How to transcode .avi to .mov?

Posted by Andy Wills 
How to transcode .avi to .mov?
April 01, 2010 05:04PM
Hello! LAFCPUG lifesavers!

Is there a way to make media manager change avi files to mov?

I'm doing it manually, one at a time, just by exporting the avi clip as a mov with the same codec, framing etc.

As far as I can see, the media manager doesn't allow you to specify .mov - you can just specify the codec.

It would save me a whole lot of time if I could do this automatically.

I need to use "Advanced Pulldown Removal", which doesn't work on .avi files.

Unfortunately the files were captured as .avi, without the timecode from the tape, before I got involved in this project.

The lack of original timecode means that to simply re-capture the footage using the "advanced pulldown removal" capture setting is even more labour intensive than exporting each file one by one.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

All the best,

Andy
Re: How to transcode .avi to .mov?
April 01, 2010 05:10PM
Can you use Batch Export function rather than doing it one by one. You might also be able to do this with Compressor.

All the best,

Tom
April 01, 2010 08:35PM
Make a Compressor droplet and batch them through that, Andy. Much better quality results and you can dump them all in there and walk away. If they are some kind of weird frame rate or size (as some were I got recently) you can personalise the droplet to suit.

Mpeg streamclip also works on most AVIs, as long as you have the extra AVI components installed for Quicktime. How to do this is in the Mpeg streamclip manual.

July 15, 2010 12:40PM
I just put a short project in compressor to create dvd/mpeg2 files. I used the standard options, i.e. 90 minute crunch. Only got a droplet on my desktop. What is this droplet? and why did I get it instead of the mpteg 2 files I normally get when I export via compressor?
tnx,
Sanjay
August 21, 2011 09:40PM
You can use the batch function which is much faster than doing the conversion one by one.
August 24, 2011 08:35PM
Yeah, the batch function is quite helpful.
I used to convert videos one by one. But I solved the problem by using ojosoft AVI to MOV converter, which supports batch conversion. U can just choose all the videos and drag them into the input file area. Then it will do the conversions automatically.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics