Rendered Canon 5D H.264 to Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 30fps 1920 x 1080 won't play?

Posted by John Johnston 
Hi All,

Doing final delivery on a project shot on a (real cranky) Canon 5D. I simply need to deliver the Native H.264 1920 x 1080 @ 30fps files to Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 @ 1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps.

Simple Quicktime conversion right?

The Uncompressed files are all there when I scrub through frame by frame but the client is upset because it will not play in QT. Not even copied to the internal drive of a brand new Mac with most recent QT Pro.

I imagine it is a frame dropping issue due to the size of each file but what a hassle...tried changing RT settings in Final Cut but to no avail.

I really want to get this project off of my plate.

If I export the Uncompressed timeline in compressor and create a dvd from that timeline will that be proof that the Uncompressed material is all there and deliverable?

Has anyone walked this pesky road before?

Thanks!!!

John
Re: Rendered Canon 5D H.264 to Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 30fps 1920 x 1080 won't play?
April 03, 2010 01:53PM
> the client is upset because it will not play in QT

Why should he be? He wanted Uncompressed HD, so he should get the gear that supports it. Tell him to get one of these:

[www.caldigit.com]

30fps may not actually mean 30fps. Usually it refers to 29.97 fps. Canon basically made a camera that shot a frame rate which nobody worked with. You may need to conform it to 29.97fps, if audio was not recorded. If it was, you'll need to slow down your audio to get the sync right.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Rendered Canon 5D H.264 to Uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 30fps 1920 x 1080 won't play?
April 03, 2010 02:29PM
You realize that the data rate of uncompressed 1080i60 is over 155 megabytes per second, right? There's no way on God's green earth to play that back off a single hard drive.

Even an HDOne ? while it's a great framestore ? isn't beefy enough for uncompressed HD work. I used to have one, and while it had no problem with a single stream of uncompressed, it wasn't fast enough to reliably play back two streams.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. I realized that even a 7 second clip was over 1 gig...epically massive...

I had once delivered an SD Uncompressed 10 bit with no issues but uh, my bad for not thinking through the obvious. SD is a far cry from 1920 x 1080...

So I am grateful that I will be able to inform the clients of this and assure them that the rendered out Uncompressed material is deliverable.

Thanks again, and once again the LAPCPUG resource is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Best,
John
April 03, 2010 02:50PM
Well like I said, the ballpark data rate for uncompressed 10-bit 1080i60 is about 160 megabytes per second. (Bit less, actually.) Just for comparison's sake, uncompressed 10-bit 480i60 is about 30 megabytes per second.

So yeah. "Far cry" is just the right way to describe it.

You are absolutely right. Thanks for the link and I will be forwarding that as well.

Again many thanks guys!!!

Best,
John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics