Transcoding footage

Posted by gkasc 
Transcoding footage
April 06, 2010 04:54PM
Help Please

How can I transcode my XDCAM footage from my SONY EX-1 to PRORES ?
Or does it happen automatically while transfering files to my FCP-6 in the XDCAM Transfer software?

Thank you,

George
Re: Transcoding footage
April 06, 2010 04:59PM
You can use the XDCAM Transfer tool, or you can use Log and Transfer.

But more importantly, use Sony's Clip Browser to transfer the contents of the card onto a hard drive.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 06, 2010 05:56PM
Yeah, may be thats where I have been in error. I transfered the clips directly from the SXS to my desktop and subsequently through the XDCAM transfer software to my FCP6.
Thanks, will try.

George
April 06, 2010 10:07PM
The SONY Clip Browser I just downloaded appears to do just nothing, nothing to resolve my problem of transcoding my footage to PRORES. Does the XDCAM Transfer do the job when importing the files to CFP ?
April 06, 2010 11:29PM
OK, here is the deal. You can not transcode to Prores during download. Download your footage using Clipbrowser or XDCAM Transfer. If you must transcode do it after you have edited your footage natively on the time line. It will take a LLLOOONNNGGG time however. My question is why do you want to change to Prores when EX footage edits just great natively?
April 07, 2010 08:34AM
Yikes. I missed the part about transcoding to ProRes.

Yes. Rpestes is right. You can't transcode to ProRes during ingest. You could if you capture via SDI, but you lose timecode. You can batch convert everything to ProRes in compressor after capture or transcode them to ProRes after the edit.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 08, 2010 11:20PM
Well,
Here is where it all started and the origin of my question. I was advised to transcode from xdcam files (420 color space) to ProRes to get larger color space aka 422. OK then, will the compressor do the transcode after edit , and assembly, I just want to get the whole spectrum of juicy colors in our little yoga movies, and the 422 color space is the answer? I am just an old film guy, and this stuff is all new to me.
Guess, I should have never come out of retirement, but my SS checks don't buy as much anymore..... Thanks guys!!!!

George
SONY xdcam EX-1 profiles
April 08, 2010 11:27PM
I need to set up different shooting profiles on my SONY XDCAM EX-1 camera. Is there a book on the market that describes and helps in setting up different profiles for this little baby of mine?
The user manual that came with the camera is useless!!

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics