workflow: AVCHD (panasonic-ag-hmc40) and FCP

Posted by xavpil 
workflow: AVCHD (panasonic-ag-hmc40) and FCP
April 12, 2010 09:52AM
I am contemplating the purchase of the panasonic ag-hmc40 (first of all, anyone has good or bad things to say about it?

I've heard different things about the workflow because of the avchd codec.

Anyone working with this codec?

My rig: MBP-2009
Re: workflow: AVCHD (panasonic-ag-hmc40) and FCP
April 12, 2010 10:00AM
Final Cut does not work directly with this format. The media is converted on ingest to QuickTime using a codec you can select, any ProRes codec or the Apple Intermediate Codec.

All the best,

Tom
April 12, 2010 11:57AM
Thanks Tom
Actually I am looking for a little more detail on how complicated, steps heavy or time consuming this process is.
ANy idea?
April 12, 2010 12:15PM
The process is incredibly simple. Read the section in the manual on Log and Transfer. The time it takes depends entirely on the speed of your computer, faster than realtime on most machines, and it can be done in the background while making other selections and logging the media. Or it can be a one button click and walk away process.

All the best,

Tom
April 12, 2010 01:09PM
thanks.
Any actual users out there today?
April 12, 2010 03:29PM
I've got the Panny TM-700K (avchd) and as Tom said it's very easy to do. Much faster and easier than bringing in hdv.
April 12, 2010 11:29PM
cool
thx
April 13, 2010 06:20PM
I've been using the Panny HMC150 (which also shoots AVCHD) for the past 18 months and find the workflow very user friendly. Plus the cards are dirt cheap in comparison to P2 cards -- $40 holds more than 90 minutes of 1080p. We brought 30 of them for a shoot in Guatemala and they worked flawlessly.

Thomas
April 13, 2010 06:35PM
I know, what a price difference.
And I'm sure you love your 150....
Have you used a 40?.... Heard good things about it, except for the low light exposure
June 12, 2010 08:53PM
guamrider,

Can you get your FCP to recognize the highest quality setting (1080 60P 28mbps) on your Panasonic TM700K?

Mine will recognize only the clips in the HA setting which is the next level down but not in 1080 60P.

I can't find anyone who has gotten it to work.

The workarounds I've found and tried are: Toast, Voltaic, Clipwrap, and Aunsoft to convert the files to Pro Res and then import them into FCP 7.0.2

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Dickie

FCP 7.0.2
Intel Macbook
Power PC G5 Quad Core
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics