24PN for Broadcast

Posted by TVTerry 
24PN for Broadcast
April 12, 2010 10:36AM
Hello! I have a client who wants me to shoot in 720p 24p (which I have had no experience with) for final delivery for broadcast...so I have a few questions for the pros.

First, would it be better to shoot in 24PN (AVC Intra) to save space on the P2 cards (shooting on HPX 300)? Or should I stick with standard 24p?

Second, when logging and transferring do I need to do anything with the "Remove Advanced Pulldown and Duplicate Frames" checkbox in FCP 7? In my understanding, those frames aren't there in 24PN, correct? The box is checked by default. I see there is an option under preferences to use the P2 AVC Intra Native format. I'm guessing I'd use that, right?

Third, when editing, will I use the 23.98 timeline with the ProRes codec and add graphics, etc. just as normal?

Fourth, when final delivery comes for broadcast, it's my understanding that FCP adds the pulldown when outputting via firewire. So simply drop the entire sequence into a 29.97 DV NTSC timeline and print to tape on my DVCam deck?

Thanks for your help, this forum is an awesome source for knowledge!
Re: 24PN for Broadcast
April 12, 2010 12:22PM
24pN should be good, as you don't have to bother with removing pulldown.

>it's my understanding that FCP adds the pulldown when outputting via firewire.

You should double check that. I'm not sure what form of pulldown FCP adds, but the JES Deinterlacer can add standard pulldown to a file.

[www.xs4all.nl]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 12, 2010 01:22PM
If it's for broadcast then shoot 24p (with pulldown). Since you need to add it at the end, why not just shoot with it in the first place. It'll eat up more card space but I think you'll be thankful that you don't have to worry about the cadence when you output.

CHL

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
April 12, 2010 01:38PM
It depends on what your workflow is and the form of delivery. Color isn't so great with interlaced footage. Also, adding pulldown is quite trivial. Removing an inconsistent pulldown is a PITA.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 12, 2010 02:22PM
It's also worth considering if you are going to be using footage other than what you have shot. Mixing frame rates can be troublesome, especially going to and from Colour.
Stock footage or footage acquired from other productions is usually going to be delivered at 29.97 or 25 in PAL areas.

There are many benefits to capturing and editing in 23.976 but if you have to deal with multiple frame rates, the benefits can evaporate depending on the ratio and your intended workflow.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 12, 2010 03:01PM
All true Strypes. Since TVTerry did not mention Color in his original post, I did not take that to be an issue.

It appears to be mostly straight cuts. And in this situation, I think 24p with pulldown sounds the most logical.

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
April 12, 2010 03:51PM
That would be my first question, will this be a standalone piece or will it integrate footage from other sources? If it is standalone, 720 24pN would be fine, assuming the client likes the motion and spatial characteristics of that look.

I am shooting a PBS special next week and the good people of this board, the client and I have all decided that the most practical format to shoot is 1080 60i, largely because the show will heavily feature 1080 60i archival footage along with the new material I will be shooting. While I am not crazy about the interlaced look, for this show, it totally makes sense. I would evaluate your show in the same way.

Dan Brockett
April 12, 2010 05:13PM
You really don't want to shoot 24p with pulldown and then try to remove the pulldown if you're onlining in Final Cut. Final Cut's tools for pulldown removal are ? well, absent, actually. It handles 2:3:3:2 just fine, from what I hear, but it can't deal with 3:2 at all.

As others have said, editing 24p material with pulldown is very easy. It acts just like 60i, because that's what it is. You'll want to take care about where you cut; making edits between the jitter frames is not desirable. If you really want to be picky, you'll always cut on the AA frame.

Overall, your life will be easier if you shoot 2:3:3:2 then remove the pulldown so you have plain old 24p to work with. But again, as others have pointed out, there's the matter of what else you're intercutting with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics