Ingesting AVCHD files with FCExpress 4

Posted by dpajkovi 
Ingesting AVCHD files with FCExpress 4
April 19, 2010 04:51PM
Hi everyone,

I am new to the FC world. I have a canon HG10 camcorder, and have filled up the hard drive with video. I am trying to empty it onto my computer, and have done so by using the log and transfer window, which converts my AVCHD files as a .mov

My problem is that when viewing the .mov files on quicktime, the quality does not compare to the original raw format on the camera, especially when there is a lot of motion. Also, the file size it converts to is much larger.

Is there better way to ingest files, to keep the high quality, or perhaps use the files in their original format with FC?

Danny
Re: Ingesting AVCHD files with FCExpress 4
April 19, 2010 04:57PM
If you're converting to the Apple Intermediate Codec at the correct specifications in FCE then that's as good as it gets. The files cannot be used in their original format.

All the best,

Tom
April 19, 2010 07:52PM
Hi

I am using the Apple Intermediate Codec. What would be the correct specifications?

Does anyone else notice the video quality drop? What options do I have - does FCP have a different conversion process? If not, is apple going to be addressing this anytime soon??

Danny
April 20, 2010 12:13PM
The Apple Intermediate Codec looks OK to me. QT isn't the best for viewing images in all cases. Do you have a HD broadcast monitor? Did you check off "High Quality" in QuickTime in the movie settings?

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
April 24, 2010 08:01PM
Hi Kevin,

How can I tell if I have an HD broadcast monitor? I have a MacPro Latpop that is about 4 years old. Also, I did not have High Quality checked off, but that did not really change anything. What I am noticing during the video being played is that there are horizontal lines that appear where there is fast motion in the video - have you seen this at all?

The apple intermediate codec has 2 options with FCE4, which one do I choose? 1080i50, or 1080i60. What does 50 or 60 mean - frames per second?

I guess I am still not clear on whether apple/FC can convert AVCHD files in a way that keeps the high quality - you suggest it looks OK. Do you mean just OK, or there is no noticeable difference between the AVCHD in its raw format, and there is potentially something I am doing wrong?

Thanks!!

Danny
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics