OMF File for Pro Tools

Posted by michaelpaulucci 
OMF File for Pro Tools
April 22, 2010 01:11PM
Hello,

I shot a film on a Canon 7D, and used a Sound Device 722 to record dialogue. The film is now picture locked, and I need to send an OMF File to my post Audio guys so he can do the mix. When I synced all the Audio and the Video, I merged the clips, creating a whole new Merged clip from which I edited the entire film.

Now, when I create the OMF File, I am afraid the names of the audio tracks are going to have the merged clip name, as opposed to the raw audio file name, and my audio guy isn't going to be able to find the clips without going back and listening to every single one. Will this happen? Or will the names of the clips in the audio file link back to the original audio files?

Any way to make sure he gets the original names of the audio files so he can bring them up in Pro Tools with what I have now?

Thanks so much,

Mike
Re: OMF File for Pro Tools
April 22, 2010 03:26PM
Good question. But mine is, does it matter? You won't be going back to the source...the OMG will include the audio you imported...it will send it to the Audio Mixer. So they will have it, and can just start working.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
April 23, 2010 12:19AM
I think if it's a REALLY good OMF you can call it an OMG...

I agree with Shane. You don't need to link back to the originals once you're up to the OMF stage, and all the files go with the OMF, so he shouldn't need to reference outside that document, unless you're not at lock-off.

April 23, 2010 12:49AM
the OMF wil use the CLIP names, not the media file names.

iv'e been thinking about this myself lately.
one reason was because i was doing a music show, and cutting with the multitrack recordings.
all the tracks had been carefully labeled after the instrument, such as kick, snare, etc,
and i though it would be handy not to lose that info.

anyway, i've found one way to get the file names back.
there could be other approaches, but this is what i just came up with:

copy the sequence/s into a new project.
delete all video tracks:

lock all audio tracks (shift F5)
select all (Apple A)
delete.

select the sequences in the browser, and run Media Manager.
- create offline
- dont delete unused

this gives me a new project WITH all the audio files.
MM wont trim them, or make them offline (my audio files are BWF files, don't now how yours will behave)

the audio only files still have the names of the video clips.
(i tried using "base media file names on existing file names" in Media Manager but got the same result)

but i select them all in the browser, and Modify Menu > Rename > Clips to match File,
and they revert to their orignal names.

cheers,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics