OT : Lighworks becomes Open Source!!!
April 29, 2010 08:51AM
Hi All

Did anybody notice this one?

I have to admit that I am completely irational with respect to Lightworks. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

[www.editshare.com]

Lightworks was my first love and was the logical step for me from the flat bed film table into non Linear Editing. With that lovely one hand editing console!!!!

"Edit Share plans to make the first step towards releasing Lightworks Open Source later this year in the form of a free Lightworks download, allowing users to familiarize themselves with the Lightworks editing system and its multitude of features including: true shared projects, instant save, multi-cam ingest, 3D editorial functionality, Universal Media File support, native RED editing, native 2K support with DPX and RED, dual outputs, and a format-independent timeline."

REGISTER HERE

[www.editshare.com]

I just hope that they keep the shark logo!

best

Paul
Re: OT : Lighworks becomes Open Source!!!
April 29, 2010 10:08AM
...Not just the shark logo but also the shark delete and close windows fun-ction tongue sticking out smiley

I started non-linear on LightWorks Turbo!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 29, 2010 10:41AM
hi Ben

Don´t know if I ever edited on a Lighworks Turbo system smiling bouncing smiley

I think it had 2 of these pc 486 a card, console and some tape back up thing

the shark, the shark

how did that work again?

did the shark swim around the screen and delete stuff?

and the closing windows? did they close like dominos?

am getting really emotional here just thinking about this stuff....

and of course the best console of all time, forward backwards in, out and splice the clip into the timeline

what more could an editor want?
April 29, 2010 10:47AM
for those who don´t know the lighworks shark symbol....

April 29, 2010 02:50PM
Yes was based on a 486 and crashed more than Avid on a good day!

"did the shark swim around the screen and delete stuff?"

You could create Sharks and they cycled color each time and swam back to the lower left hand corner when let go on the screen - we used to have shark races when bored!

You could use them to close the windows by using the shark to click on it which had a weird isometric pseudo 3D effect to them!

Yes the Lightworks shuttle was the best thing ever! Based on the Steenbeck control it has never been bettered for 1 hand editing and simultaneous coffee drinking!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
April 29, 2010 02:56PM
I'm actually excited about this. I've never used Lightworks, but I'm looking forward to giving this modern version a shot. Could be a viable open source NLE.

- Justin Barham -
April 29, 2010 03:04PM
I guess it depends what comes of it! As long as it works on a Mac and is 64bit and fast fast fast then I'll give it another go!

April 29, 2010 07:47PM
Heee .. my old Lightworks (Newsworks actually, for those that can tell the difference)

... I've still got an inflatable Lightworks shark around here somewhere.
April 29, 2010 07:48PM
Sweet! Make this a "send us your Lightworks picts" thread.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 29, 2010 10:12PM
My dad owned three heavyworks back in the day, and I have actually assisted on a touch system. Cutting was great... assisting sucked! Interesting for sure.
April 30, 2010 02:51AM
I was at the lightworks stand in Amsterdam 2008

They had the inflatable sharks

I begged them for one but they didn´t move an inch

I hope that someone will bring out a decent console

Maybe this one isn´t so bad?

[www.euphonix.com]

Need to test it....

Any euphonix developers reading this?

ANYONE please contact me off line for presents, lightworks consoles etc

Am based in Berlin Germany and yes Inflatable sharks

Worst case scenario then

[www.partypalooza.com]
April 30, 2010 04:31AM
Heading slightly OT: I read that Avid were buying Euphonix which might be a bad move unless they continue to support FCP - I'm guessing FCP is one of Euphonix largest markets.

[www.broadcastnow.co.uk]

If they do what they did with Medea then I think this is a mistake as might limit some great tech to Avid only and what of support for existing Euphonix owners? After all what did Avid do with Pinnacle Systems? Simply buying up companies so that other people can't have them is high questionable and should be looked at by Competition Commission (former Monopolies & Mergers Commission).

My dad owned three heavyworks back in the day...

Heavyworks! - now that was a beast - I got my hands on it a few times but never cut on Newsworks.

Not sure if I have any pictures of back then but if I come across some I'll have to vet the bad hair ones tongue sticking out smiley

April 30, 2010 05:34AM
yeah that would be very sad if Avid killed the euphonix controller

it just isn´t cool, buying things with a view to killing them

getting us even more OT it gets us no where except here

[www.amazon.com]

I am personally very excited about all these old school high end tools that are trickling down to the end user. Resolve being of course another case in point.

Find the idea of a Lightworks & Resolve Combo very intriguing!!!

[www.blackmagic-design.com]

yes i know they have to work on the intergration thing.....

I too have no Lightworks photos, it was before the days of digital photography!!!
April 30, 2010 12:06PM
Avid actually closed the deal with Euphonix and bought it. No indication that it will kill it. In fact they plan to further develop it.

"Avid intends to further develop an open standard protocol that greatly expands the ecosystem of compatibility between the Euphonix control surfaces and a wide range of Avid and third-party audio and video applications, including Media Composer and Pro Tools systems."

[www.ibeweb.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 30, 2010 01:19PM
Echoing what Michael quoted, I asked about supporting other NLEs at the Avid press event and they seemed confident in quashing the idea of making Euphonix devices Avid-only. They claim they're going in the other direction, pushing for an open control protocol.

- Justin Barham -
May 03, 2010 09:23AM
Lightworks downfall was its' purchase by Grass Valley in the mid 90's.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics