External / Internal video monitoring Conundrum

Posted by J.Corbett 
External / Internal video monitoring Conundrum
May 17, 2010 02:28PM
I know that this has came up quite a few times. But there are no real conclusions that i see.

I am working a project and suddenly i have to choose between the canvas and the external monitor (ntsc FW) for realtime viewing. It either plays in the canvas or plays in the viewer.

I have seen this many times and normally end up editing in the viewer then switching the mirror on desktop option to qc the edit in the external.

what is the reason for this? and what is the sure fix, kinda?

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: External / Internal video monitoring Conundrum
May 18, 2010 01:23AM
lafcp searches

external monitor
cavas frozen
frozen video
firewire monitor

no answer in those searches. but maybe no one knows...

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
May 18, 2010 03:03AM
Its not really a conundrum J.

Most folks monitor their video playback (professionally at least) on a dedicated external display. If you are already set up for this then there's no real reason to ever monitor playback in the Canvas window. If your system lacks the resources to drive both the Canvas and the External Video display together then you can just turn off "Mirror on desktop" ... and then if you ever particularly want to watch in the Canvas rather than on the External Video then you can toggle between the two as needed using Cmd F12.

Why would your system lack the resources to handle driving both Canvas and External Video simultaneously? What's the "sure fix"? Well there are lots of reasons not least of which is having mismatched source, sequence and external video playback formats ... but there are really so many different symptoms and causes for monitoring issues that it defies the "sure fix" you seem to be seeking.
May 18, 2010 06:51PM
key word is "Suddenly"
which i take it to mean the system used to work, now it doesn't.

one question is: what have you done recently that might have changed your set-up?

anther is: have you tried trashing your prefs?

nick
May 19, 2010 12:18AM
Its weird cause my system handles 1080 with ease, and its overly beefy for DV.

Quadcore 3.0 / 10g ram / 10.6.3 ? FCP6.0.6 / old ATIx1900 (which i can wait to replace)

The reason i like to see both is because 60% of my stuff goes to web and being able to see both NTSC and cpu monitor makes it easy.
My TL and video out are always identical.

A restart seemed to fix the problem, but that is like the 25th time i have seen it since starting to edit.
It just irks me that there is not a known cause outside of what i might call " professional common knowledge " such as TL and video out congruency being a culprit.

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics