Render Manager

Posted by jenvery 
Render Manager
May 24, 2010 08:43PM
HI! I keep getting an error out of disc space and then something about deleting stuff with render manager. What happens when I delete render manager items? Does the whole project disappear or does it just delete ll the renders of that project, and so if I need the projecxt again can I go back and render it and its fine? I need to delete some. Also how do I tell it where to put files? Thank you!
Re: Render Manager
May 24, 2010 08:49PM
No offense meant, but these are very basic questions. Please consult your manual for stuff like this. In particular, refer to the section titled "Managing your render files."

May 24, 2010 09:01PM
> What happens when I delete render manager items? Does the whole project disappear or does it
> just delete ll the renders of that project

Jeff is right, this is basic. However, this is one of those areas of knowledge where a manual won't be able to explain all that well. An FCP teacher would do much better.

Render files are utterly expendable. The tricky part is that if you don't know much about them, chances are you also have a flawed file-management system where your render files could be mixed with some files you actually need -- accidental exports and captures, graphics, music, for example.

Using Tools - Render Manager will allow you to delete only render files associated with a project, or a specific Sequence.

But, check your Scratch Disks to make sure your render folder does contain only render files. You can spot render files in Mac OS from a mile away because they will have a file name like "[Sequence Name]-000abcde".

By the way, if you're actually allowing FCP to warn you about insufficient disk space, you probably also aren't keeping a close enough eye on your drives. You have to keep a barest minimum of 10 per cent free space on all drives. Look at all your drives and check. You'll have much deeper problems than inability to render if you keep going over the limit and filling your drives to the brim.

www.derekmok.com
May 24, 2010 09:06PM
well the issue of the render manager is one thing.
the disk space is another.

render manager isn't that scary.
and yes it will only delete your render files, which you can re-create as needed.
you'll see in there (Tools Menu > Render Manager) that you can also delete specific files as needed, too,
as in renders from specific projects, and even sequences i think.

one possibly scary side-effect.
if you are using reference moves somewhere on your system,
they night be referring to render files,
and losing the renders will make the reference movies inoperable.

but what about the disk space?
what disks are you using? the internal, system drive perhaps?
that's a no-no

and how much space isa free on your drive/s
there maybe other things you could delete, or move onto a new drive.

it does pay to keep on top of your disk space as you work.
May 25, 2010 12:17AM
On one external drive I have like 1.2 GB left of 3 TB and anther drive has 954 GB available. So Im not sure why its not going on that second one. I added it under capture scratch do I have to add it elsewhere as well?
UNDER Render manager for ex it shows a project then shows seqquence, then video files as large as 90 GB, is it okay to delete this? Thank you for answering even though its basc!
May 25, 2010 12:39AM
> On one external drive I have like 1.2 GB left of 3 TB

Kaboom.

You're supposed to leave 300GB out of 3TB free. And that's the barest minimum. You are at what we would charitably call "critical mass". Frankly, for 3TB of storage, I would leave 20 per cent free space.

> I added it under capture scratch do I have to add it elsewhere as well?

When your drives are as large as 3TB, you should not be depending on FCP's "Minimum Allowable Disk Space" to keep your drives under 90 per cent. You need to pay more attention to your drives. Filling a drive the way you do is a great way to fry them. Set the Scratch Disks manually. In fact, on every job I've ever done, I've only ever set one Scratch Disk location on that list. Because if it ever fills up so far that it jumps automatically from destination 1 to destination 2, then you're already not paying enough attention and you're likely to be mismanaging your drive space.

www.derekmok.com
May 25, 2010 08:08PM
So free up space on the 3TB one immediately, before it melts down. Then uncheck it in the capture scratch so that files don't go to it any more. If both are checked, FCP will keep filling it until the default minimum is reached before going to the new one, and this is WAY too late.

May 25, 2010 09:16PM
but would even that small amount of space (1.2G) trigger the out of disc space warning?

im worried that you might be accidentally sending your renders to your system drive.
May 25, 2010 11:03PM
Isn't it about 2GB by default? I think its 2056MB or something.

May 26, 2010 11:33AM
May 26, 2010 05:34PM
"Isn't it about 2GB by default? I think its 2056MB or something."

oh yes, that's right.
i guess i deal with the issue before that kicks in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics