FCP 6 with ATI Radeon 9800 and Quartz Extreme

Posted by Kubrick-Fan 
FCP 6 with ATI Radeon 9800 and Quartz Extreme
June 11, 2010 11:27AM
After I installed FCP 6 over FCP 5 and my G5 with 4GB Ram worked fine. Then soemthing happened and I had to reset my PRAM and now FCP 6 says my ATI RADEON 9800 "does not support" Quartz Exrteme. What gives? It worked fine before! Can I get some help here my friends? TIA
Re: FCP 6 with ATI Radeon 9800 and Quartz Extreme
June 12, 2010 01:11PM
A few things to try...

Open System Profiler and select your graphics card and make sure it says "supported" under the Quartz Extreme and Core Image items. Make sure your display is set to show "millions of colors," as a setting of hundreds or thousands of colors will result in this warning message (among other issues).

You may want to try resetting your PRAM 3 times in a row, after resetting the PMU (I think that's what it's called --- it's a button on your G5's motherboard).

Another thing to try is to delete some system preferences (related to the display) and maybe some cache files.

-Dave

P.S. - Beware. Some of these suggestions should only be done if you are very comfortable with the more technical aspects of OS X and your computer, as you could create issues with your OS X installation, etc.
June 14, 2010 05:48PM
My system profiler says Core and Quartz Extreme is NOT SUPPORTED yet it worked fine a week ago. I will try the PMU reset...
June 14, 2010 06:11PM
Kubrick-Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My system profiler says Core and Quartz Extreme is
> NOT SUPPORTED yet it worked fine a week ago. I
> will try the PMU reset...

FYI, depending on the model of your G5, it may have an SMU rather than a PMU. If you search apple.com support, you should find a KnowledgeBase article with instructions on resetting the PMU/SMU...

-Dave
June 14, 2010 07:12PM
Did you bump your machine around at all? Sometimes if a computer is bumped the cards inside can become unseated and this can cause strange things to happen. The solution is to take the cards out and put them back in again.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 15, 2010 09:23AM
No bumping happened but was repairing permissions on a MAXTOR 2TB drive when things hung up
and all h$ll broke loose. Then just moments ago I awoke from a fever dream and had an epiphany. Maybe it's the display and not the card that is the problem???? I fooled around in preferences and looked and looked and then dropped my resolution from 1600 to 1344 and rebooted and LOW AND BEHOLD: Core and Quartz Extreme were suddenly supported again!!!!! WTF?! So now there is a normal boot and FCP is not refusing to work because of NO SUPPORT for Core and Quartz Extreme. On to editing!!!! Thanks for all the help out there!
June 15, 2010 12:08PM
Good to hear you sorted it out...

For future reference, it's likely that a combination of settings became corrupt.

When you changed your display settings, the corrupt preferences were overwritten (along with having zapped the PRAM, etc.).

Steps to take, as changing your display settings may not always work:

1. Delete these files (* denotes a string assigned by the OS --- "~" denotes your home directory path):

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preference.displays*.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.*.plist

NOTE: The following two items have been updated... see new item 2 following...

2. Shut down your computer, unplug it for 30 minutes, and reset the PMU/SMU as applicable (check with Apple support for your particular computer model, as the method and time do vary).

3. When starting back up, zap the PRAM 3 successive times, then let start-up process continue, as normal.

2. Follow the instructions in this Apple KnowledgeBase article (see step 4) for how to reset your PMU/SMU/SMC and zap the PRAM. You may need to repeat these steps in rare situations.

-Dave
June 15, 2010 07:14PM
Thanks Dave!
June 15, 2010 07:24PM
Kubrick-Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Dave!

Your welcome... glad to (try to) help... winking smiley

I posted the info to help others, as well (to make a "record" here in the forums).

Cheers.

-Dave
June 16, 2010 11:56AM
FYI, I updated my previous "answer" post earlier in this thread...

Sorry for any confusion...
smiling smiley

-Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics