Recommendation: a resume writing service for editor/producer types like us?

Posted by rockin ron 
Recommendation: a resume writing service for editor/producer types like us?
June 15, 2010 01:27PM
Hi All

I don't know where else to post this and it may be of importance to many members as well.

Can anyone recommend a resume writing service that specializes in making great resumes for industry types like the LAFCPUG members? Editor producer filmmaker

thanks

Ron Greenwood
Blue Laser Video Productions
Cell 310-922-2627
ron@bluelaserprod.com
www.bluelaserprod.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm0339387/filmoyear
Re: Recommendation: a resume writing service for editor/producer types like us?
June 15, 2010 01:48PM
I just did it myself. They are pretty straightforward.

Name, Address, Phone, Email, link to web reel

Then list shows by:
Date, position, show (network it appeared on), production company. Rinse, repeat.

Then add skills at the bottom, perhaps references. But I typically say "references upon request."

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 15, 2010 09:01PM
Your best resume? Satisfied clients and word of mouth

Web site - Google Ads (they work) - study how to get your name/site moved up the Google Search results by optimizing your site (Google it -- there are services that will help you or study to do it yourself)

As for actual paper resumes -- not sure who reads them any more -- it's more "what's your web site, where's your reel?"

We hire producers and editors across the nation every month and if their work shines and their clients are happy - they've got the job.

If you are solid, with great references and a lot of professional experience under your belt - sign up with Crews Control or other booking agents (we hire a lot of their folks) They screen your work and work ethic and put you out on the market for a percentage of each job.

But if you want to send me your resume, I'll be glad to look at it and help you spice it up.

Best - Andy Field FieldVision Productions/ABC News
June 15, 2010 09:09PM
>and if their work shines

The reel and your work samples are very important. If you ask me, more important than your resume. But people do look at your resume too. I always come across people who ask me about what I have done before, and where have I worked at while they are looking at my resume.

And speaking of which, does anybody still use DVD reels?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 15, 2010 09:41PM
I am constantly sending out my resume. They want both it and a reel. The resume is important because my reel doesn't show EVERYTHING I worked on. If it did, it'd be way too long. Instead, I offer samples of my best work, and then a list of the stuff I have worked on.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 15, 2010 11:44PM
Resume Writing Service? LOL...that's someone laughing all the way to the bank. Do it yourself. Keep it simple and clean. ONLY YOUR BEST STUFF (like your demo). Don't over stuff it to multiple pages. Those are annoying (at least in our interview process). Too many listings means too many gigs and no stability (when looking for a full timer). Freelance resume is a different animal.

My resume hasn't done sh!t for me since 2000. It's my website / demo that got me noticed and recruited by EA SPORTS...and I wasn't even looking for a job at the time. Yes there is a downloadable printable PDF and DOC resume on my website...but it's just a formality. I have the following pages on my website:

Bio
Broadcast Gallery
3D Gallery
Accolades ("What They Are Sayin'..."winking smiley
Resume
Contact
Training
Links
Clients Only

I recommend doing some research on some good websites and successful peeps' resumes (visiting / browsing).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 16, 2010 05:03PM
Here are what I think are important in resumes aside from your name and picture, especially if you're dealing with those HR folks.

Contact information and link to showreel: Make sure you have your contact information at both the top and bottom. This is your calling card.

Aims: A sentence or a short paragraph, so people know you have a job/career/professional aim, and you're not coming in just to fill up you 9-5 hours (kinda dumb, but yea).

Skills: What you can do.

Software proficiency: Which softwares/apps are you good at.

Job history/credits: Fill in your most notable and more recent credits to date, and describe the projects, as the potential employer may not have heard of the show.

Language proficiency: which languages can you speak and write. This is especially important if you may be working in a multi language environment. If you can't read the script or hear the dialogue, you can't cut it.

Education background: duh.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 17, 2010 09:37AM
Picture?

You do not put your picture on a Post Production resume (at least in the United States I have never seen one). It's not a casting.

June 19, 2010 02:43PM
I know of some networks that ask to bring along a passport sized photo to stick onto your job application. I don't have a picture on my own resume as I don't actively look for any fulltime positions, but people tend to pay more attention where there is a picture as opposed to a page full of text.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 19, 2010 07:21PM
They do pay more attention...and when the laughing stops, they put that resume down and pick up the next one spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

June 19, 2010 08:08PM
This is not something I wanna debate about. I don't even have a foot in this argument. Put your picture, don't put your picture, who cares? I'm not saying put a huge A4 sized picture like you were going for casting, but a small one next to your name, so when they go through the interviewees at the end of the day, they can see your face and remember who you were. You could try it on 5 job applications and try without it on 5 others and see which gets you more gigs, although if you ask me, going for more than 2 interviews without getting a firm job offer means you need to re-look your approach.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 21, 2010 01:47AM
I have never seen two that look the same and everyone probably prefers their own. You can download mine here. I think it's a good template and covers all the bases.

ianrichardson.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics