log settings

Posted by Chris Rawlence 
log settings
July 02, 2010 11:22AM
I finally decided on a Canon HFS-21 as a back up/second camera to the Sony Z1 that's been doing me well for the past 4 years. I usually capture HDV footage from the Z1 on the HDV1080i codec. What codec for the HFS-21 setting would best match this Z1 setting? And which resolution setting on the Canon would best match the Z1? 1440x1080 - 12Mbps? - which they call XP+ - and what about frame rate? 24P or 50i? Chris R
Re: log settings
July 02, 2010 11:56AM
The Canon HF S21 shoots to AVCHD at 1920x1080. So when you Log and Transfer, ProRes 422 at 1080i is the way to go. (Apple Intermediate Codec works, but is a somewhat obsolete codec and not nearly as good) However, I've been using a similar model (HF S10) for about a year and I'm not at all pleased with the way it handles motion, and it has a horrible 24p setting (a simulation, not true 24p). So unless you've bought it already, I would suggest you borrow or rent one and do some tests first. If you're trying to use it as a backup camera, I would imagine you would need it to look somewhat similar to the results from the Z1. Personally, I think it's nutty to try to use such a different camera as a backup. The Canon HF series are all extremely light consumer cameras with less-than-desireable manual controls -- just the fact that they'll bob around like crazy on handheld shots would be a problem.

www.derekmok.com
July 03, 2010 05:41AM
Thanks Derek, I'll fiddle around with various settings until I hit the best result. I notice interlacing on the 50i setting in FCP but maybe this was the wrong codec on transfer. The 25P eliminates this - as it would - though not as crisp - because presumably half the lines. You don't seem to like the 24P on your HFS-10 - why not? What did you mean by problems with motion on your HFS10? Judderiness on a pan? Clear interlacing on head and hand movements? Is it maybe a question of setting? On the Z1 issue, I hadn't really seen it as a substitute or 2nd camera beyond locked off wide. More that I wanted something that could go in a really small bag that would occasionally be OK for small Youtube destined movies. Even the smallish Z1 starts to get heavy with a Century w/a lens on the front, spare batteries, tripod etc etc. In the longer term I'm planning on a Sony EX3 or similar. Chris R
July 03, 2010 10:54AM
> You don't seem to like the 24P on your HFS-10 - why not?

Because the HF S10 still records to 29.97fps. It just tries to give you a "24p look", and not a good one to my eye. Motion looks fine if the camera is completely locked down, but camera moves suffer greatly, with stuttering and a large amount of blurring, which also isn't helped by the extreme light weight and the fiddly controls. (ry using the front dial for manual focus. It's nearly impossible -- it takes about 14 turns of that tiny dial to rack between two subjects four feet apart, and the camera is so small that if you're on handheld, every turn of the dial makes the whole screen shake.

www.derekmok.com
July 03, 2010 07:54PM
Might be a bit OT. But this whole "24p Look" I feel is a rip off. Wether it comes from Canon or Panasonic. In the end both are DV and 29.97 fps. I feel long ago when Panasonic started this trend people got fooled into this "Film Look" thing not realizing that its the lens that creates the DOF and makes it look like film. But I am looking forward to the new Panasonic AF 100.
July 03, 2010 08:13PM
> Might be a bit OT. But this whole "24p Look" I feel is a rip off. Whether it comes from Canon
> or Panasonic. In the end both are DV and 29.97 fps.

No, that's not true at all. All the cameras we're discussing above shoot HD. 24p is not a term exclusive to DV.

> when Panasonic started this trend people got fooled into this "Film Look" thing not realizing that
> its the lens that creates the DOF and makes it look like film

Depth of field isn't the only component to a "film look". Frame rate does matter, as do texture and composition.

But I am not very satisfied with what I've seen of the HF S10 in terms of motion in general, even when not aiming for "film look". For example, my old GL2 actually fared better than the HF S10 in some no-budget night-time documentary-style shoots I've done, in the view of both myself and the client.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics