Caldigit VR Raid one FAIL -- any advice?

Posted by Jeff Nelson 
Caldigit VR Raid one FAIL -- any advice?
July 08, 2010 01:47PM
Hi there: Bought a couple of CalDigit VRs from a friend about a year ago. Today I am getting a message repeatedly that a disk was ejected improperly, as though I had unplugged the drive or disconnected it. In reality, the drive is making some noise and it's taking itself off, and putting itself back onto the system.

I have tried to copy some stuff onto another drive, it copies for a few minutes, then disconnects itself again for a few seconds, come back on.

Tried to repair disc, it can't unmount it.

Tried opening the CalDigit Raid Tool v1.9 to see if there is something there to help evaluate.

I am hoping that it's just one of the drives having gone south, and if I can determine which one, I can swap out the bad one and have the Raid 1 rebuild. Am I correct?

Any suggestions/links/whatever to help me scope this out?

Thanks.
Re: Caldigit VR Raid one FAIL -- any advice?
July 08, 2010 02:53PM
Call Caldigit for tech support. They will know what to do best.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 08, 2010 05:09PM
I have never had a CalDigit drive fail on me Jeff so I couldn't personally help you. I would call CalDigit support - they will know best.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 08, 2010 05:48PM
Thanks so much, guys. Called CalDigit, they asked what model and so on, said it sounded like a known problem w/older power supplies that start getting squirrely. So he had me put the power supply from the working one over on the one that was messed up, and voila, it started working fine. So big relief, just need to replace the AC power supply, and we're back!

Thanks for the advice guys! And thanks to CalDigit for a quick solution!
July 08, 2010 05:52PM
Love hearing good support stories. Thanks for letting us know Jeff.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 08, 2010 06:19PM
Yup...figured it was a squirrely power supply, but I'd rather you get the info from them.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 08, 2010 09:03PM
I had a VR power supply die on me - they replaced it overnight. CalDigit ROCKS.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 09, 2010 03:20PM
Mega Ditto's to CalDigit Rocks -- had a VR just stop showing up on desk - said corrupted directory in Disk Utilities - got out my handy Disk Warrior and with some CalDigit's excellent support, i created a temporary directory disk - copied everything to another drive - reformated and was back in business. They have the best support anywhere - Andy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics