OT: The End of HD: Youtube goes 4K

Posted by strypes 
OT: The End of HD: Youtube goes 4K
July 11, 2010 01:58AM
Not really the end of HD, but well...

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: OT: The End of HD: Youtube goes 4K
July 11, 2010 02:43AM
4K is too big for my computer screens...and too much bandwidth for my DSL. What's the point?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 11, 2010 02:46AM
I know. I'm still waiting for it to finish downloading. Can't wait to watch it on a 4K computer screen in 5 years time.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 11, 2010 10:28AM
I don't see an option for 4K. I just see 1080p and "Original". But when I click Original, I can't tell if it's 4K or not. Is this a feature that's being rolled out gradually?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 11, 2010 12:09PM
The "Original" is 4K. You can download the stream as an mpeg4 file.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 11, 2010 02:14PM
"The end of HD"? I don't think so.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 11, 2010 03:43PM
Strypes:

Did you mean it will take 5 years to download a decent length 4k file? ;-)

Dan
July 11, 2010 06:23PM
Probably 5 years before anyone buys a 4K computer monitor.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 12, 2010 04:10AM
>Is this a feature that's being rolled out gradually?

I haven't a clue. "Rolling out gradually" sure is one way to put it. I was getting about 7fps playback on my MBP. Now I'm on a Tiger/3Ghz 8 core machine at work, and I'm still getting roughly 7fps playback in QT. Lags the hell out of Safari. Anyone managed to get this thing to play at "original"?

TBH. I don't have a 4K computer monitor. Not sure if they make one that big. And I wonder what they mean by "nice" on Reduser. Are they referring to the aliasing on the down conversion?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 12, 2010 04:31AM
I read thats its just to appease the content creators wish to have their full res stuff online

[youtube-global.blogspot.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 12, 2010 05:13AM
Well, you could try playing it back at 4K. I can't get anything but stop motion. At full rez, I was looking at a small portion of the image, and it was macroblocked with the Youtube compression.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 12, 2010 01:39PM
That's it! Jobs wins. Who needs Blu-ray? Who says Google and Apple are enemies? Google is an Apple enabler. winking smiley
Now we just need bandwidth and computer screens to catch up. Oh, and can we skip 3D and just get 4K TV sets.
July 12, 2010 01:42PM
>Oh, and can we skip 3D

Nope. 3D first, then 4K. Even Youtube knows that:

www.strypesinpost.com
July 12, 2010 01:56PM
I was thinking I'd have to look for 3D glasses and noticed they have "cross-eyed" as one of the selections. Now if 3D TV sets had that option we'd have a solution to the glasses problem. It could make for a very interesting Super Bowl party.
July 12, 2010 02:08PM
>It could make for a very interesting Super Bowl party.

I can imagine the headlines in the press- "Fifty Thousand cross-eyed fans turned up at Superbowl"

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics