converting timelapse shot on HVX at 59 fps to edit in a 23.98 timeline
July 16, 2010 04:08AM
Hey all,

I shot on an HVX200 one day, at 23.98 fps(24pn), but then shot a timelapse at 60p. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to edit this timelapse in a 24p timeline?
Re: converting timelapse shot on HVX at 59 fps to edit in a 23.98 timeline
July 16, 2010 07:13AM
Easiest way is to use the DVCPro Frame Rate Converter in the Tools Tab. Just select the 60p clip in the browser and apply the Frame Rate Converter. It will insert the new 23.98 clip in your browser.
July 18, 2010 04:53AM
Hey Tom,
when I select the clip I want to convert in the browser and click DVCPro Frame Rate Converter under the tools tab, either nothing happens (a new clip doesn't show up in the browser) or it tells me that the selected clip cannot be processed by this tool (but the clip it is naming isn't the clip I have selected)

Any further instruction would be great =)
July 18, 2010 12:06PM
For the record, you shot SLOW MOTION, not TIME LAPSE. You shot footage at a higher frame rate with the intention of making it look slow motion. 60fps. TIME LAPSE is where you shoot 1 frame a second...or one frame a minute. One ever 10 minutes, so that things speed up.

If the FRC won't work, then use the CONFORM option in Cinema Tools. That will change the speed in less than a second.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
July 18, 2010 12:24PM
> If the FRC won't work, then use the CONFORM option in Cinema Tools.

That's what I use. But make a copy of the clip first, rename the copy, then conform to 23.98fps. It's called "overcranking" -- shoot at a higher frame rate and playing it back at a lower one.

www.derekmok.com
July 19, 2010 07:33AM
Alex,

That happens occasionally. Why I don't know. But I get around it by moving the overcranked clip in the browser into another bin folder and then usually the Frame Rate converter will work fine. It is a little faster than using Cinema Tools cause it puts the converted clip right in your browser.
But if that doesn't work, you can always use Cinema Tools as suggested by Shane and Derek.
July 19, 2010 07:57AM
A third fallback. Sometimes CinemaTools? does not let you conform frame rate on DvcproHD clips and the option is greyed out, and when you go to clip analysis, it tells you that there is temporal compression. What you do is export a self contained quicktime movie, current settings, and check "recompress all frames". This issue started happened about a couple of years ago, I suspect after a certain Panny firmware upgrade. Not sure if they fixed the issue yet, but that's the workaround.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics