disk formating and freeze frame?

Posted by rickman 
disk formating and freeze frame?
July 21, 2010 11:32PM
Hello all!
Two questions

#1 - Just bought a new hard drive for an external enclosure. I was told I need to format it for the Mac. (G4 1.25GHZ mirror door/ Tiger 10.4) Anyone know how I should format it? Will disk utility do it?

#2 - I am now cursed. I cannot watch any cool video tricks without trying to figure out how they did it. I have seen this technique used a lot. Several commercials use it.
Its an action freeze frame, but the camera is moving into the frame. As the camera moves in, you begin to see "behind" the foreground elements. Almost a 3D effect. Latest sighting was the "Memphis Beat" trailer on iTunes. It occurs at the very end of the video. Is this a green screen composite effect with the foreground elements on a higher track? Any ideas? This is totally bugging me.

Rick
Should this be in the Motion Section?... is there an Effects Forum?
Re: disk formating and freeze frame?
July 22, 2010 12:07AM
>Anyone know how I should format it? Will disk utility do it?

Yes. Disk Utility, "partition", set 1 partition, go to options and select "apple partition map", format to hfs+, non-journaled, non-case sensitive, and name it.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 22, 2010 12:31AM
rickman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #2 - I am now cursed. I cannot watch any cool
> video tricks without trying to figure out how they
> did it. I have seen this technique used a lot.
> Several commercials use it.
> Its an action freeze frame, but the camera is
> moving into the frame. As the camera moves in,
> you begin to see "behind" the foreground elements.
> Almost a 3D effect. Latest sighting was the
> "Memphis Beat" trailer on iTunes. It occurs at
> the very end of the video. Is this a green screen
> composite effect with the foreground elements on a
> higher track? Any ideas? This is totally bugging
> me.

I'm not a motion graphics guru, so this is a rough guess (well, I've seen it done and tried it myself, but I'm no expert)...

One way, of course, would be to actually film different items and then combine them in post.

Another way, is to separate certain elements of a frame, put them on different layers (and points along the z-axis), then do camera movements for the animation. After Effects and Motion can do this. Stills are much easier to do this with, of course...

Here's one of many tutorials available on the interwebs: Virtual 3D Photos.

-Dave
July 22, 2010 08:03PM
That effect sounds to me like a specific camera set-up used in action films, where a number of still (or nowadays video) cameras are arranged around the action all firing at once. So it's actually filmed in a circle by, say, nine cameras at once. Then in post, you just shift from one angle to the next as the frames progress. Nothing in post (short of animation) can make you see what was not filmed by the camera, like the back of someone's head, if you were shooting the front.

July 22, 2010 08:05PM
Paint and roto. Lots of paint and roto.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics