Will FCP recognize segmented progressive frames and 24p repeat flags?

Posted by harry323 
Will FCP recognize segmented progressive frames and 24p repeat flags?
October 20, 2010 07:36PM
Hail, O Wise Ones.

I want to record from the SDI output of a Canon XLH1 camera direct to FCP (v6.0.6) OS 10.5.8 using my Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme card.

This is what I have discovered so far from a review on Millimeter Magazine:

At any rate, what comes out of the HD-SDI spigot is always uncompressed 1080/60i. Newly minted synthetic progressive frames must therefore be segmented into halves in order to fit the 60i cadence. For instance in 30PsF (progressive segmented frames/second), a progressive frame's odd lines are first output, then even lines, amounting to 60 half-frames per second, all of which are reassembled into intact progressive scans upon playback. This introduces the unique irony that 30F, which began life interlaced at 60i, is output as 30PsF at 60i.

24F comes out the HD-SDI spigot as 24PsF, with 2:3 pulldown added to pad 48 half-frames into a total of 60 segments. Downstream devices like NLEs that recognize segmented progressive frames and 24p repeat flags will readily ingest Canon's PsF stream and restore either 30F or 24F ?progressive? frames upon playback.

So - my question is: can I ingest this and view/edit it as 24p?

And can anyone, broadly speaking, give me any advice that I might be able to understand? Please be aware that I am unable to follow sentences containing big words.

Many thanks

Harry.
Re: Will FCP recognize segmented progressive frames and 24p repeat flags?
October 20, 2010 09:05PM
Meaning, can you REMOVE PULLDOWN? Dunno. As that mentioned, the signal has 24p in the 60i stream...you have the 24p look at 29.97 fps. But does the signal contain FLAGS so that you can remove the pulldown properly? That's what testing is for.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
October 20, 2010 09:34PM
My Dear Shane,

Testing ... testing? My kind of test is a chaotic scattershot affair involving a great deal of swearing and ignorance. Are you condemning me to that? I hate that. It's time consuming hard work and I rely on boffins like you, the Goodly Shane Who Knows All, to instruct me in the ways of the Jedi.

love

Harry.

PS. Thank you for the reply. At least you weren't violent, like my girlfriends are ... or at least they were when I actually had girlfriends.
October 21, 2010 02:12AM
It's the best way to learn how things work...IF they work. I hope someone who has done this exact thing you are describing. If not...the only option is to test. Before I step fully into a workflow I run tests. Gotta make sure things work the way you hope they do. Or you learn how to make them work the way you want.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics