Making the grade

Posted by Logan6 
Making the grade
October 24, 2010 10:46PM
Hi. I'm trying to grade a headshot. Subject is frame 1/3 right and I want to darken the left side of the screen (not straight down but on a diagonal - if that makes any sense). Anyways, I'm using 4 point garbage matte and the feather adjustment within that filter. Maybe you know my problem already but in if you don't then my points for my 960x720 footage are (pt1: -480,-360) (pt2: 200,-360) (pt3: -240, 360) and (p4: -480, 360). Problem I'm having is that It feathers the top and left edge of the frame and I just want it to feather the diagonal (between point 2 and 3). I'm probably going about this the entire wrong way huh? Thank you.
Re: Making the grade
October 24, 2010 10:58PM
This is a real problem with all the FCP matte tools. It's really easy to do what you want to do in Color. If you have to stay in FCP you can make the gradient using a travel matte. Put the layer with the adjustment on V3. On V2 put a custom gradient shaped the way you want with white showing the adjusted layer on V3 and what's black showing the original layer underneath. To the top layer apply composite mode travel matte luma.

All the best,

Tom
October 24, 2010 11:08PM
Awesome thank you. But Custom Gradient? Who what how? Found the "Gradient Colorize" filter and applied to V2. Shaped? How do you shape? Sorry for being so ignorant on this end. But Thank you.
October 24, 2010 11:19PM
Generators>Render>Custom Gradient. Somewhere in the Generators.

All the best,

Tom
October 24, 2010 11:51PM
What Tom said. I remember alex had a plug I'n for that. Think it's this one. I could be wrong as I usually use Color for this.

[alex4d.wordpress.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
October 25, 2010 12:44AM
Ha! I did it! This is amazing - my production values just doubled. Thank you! And especially thank you Tom.

Jonathan
October 25, 2010 06:05AM
This might help too: [www.finalcutters.com]
October 29, 2010 12:27AM
another simple method would be to use the free Vignette plug-in available here:
[www.haiku.com.au]

the in-built one had a fixed centre point, so wouldn't work for you, i reckon.
the Haiku one also has control over the colour of the vignette.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics