quicktime X or quicktime player?

Posted by alioshka 
quicktime X or quicktime player?
October 31, 2010 09:52AM
hi everyone!

I have a questiond:
I uninstalled FCP because of a problem in FCP recognzing the Sony Z1 camera.
I wonder if macos X 10.6.4 has QT in it and if that should be quicktime X?
I cannot find Quicktime in the system.
Is quicktime player same as quicktime X?
Wich one should I download then?
As you see I'm very confused and going mad right now. winking smiley
So I thought if could be any conflict there, with FCP an the control device connection. what do you think?

thanks so much.

your replies are of great help!
Re: quicktime X or quicktime player?
October 31, 2010 10:01AM
Quicktime X is a separate entity, a "simplified" media player Apple came up with. For FCP, you need QuickTime Pro 7.6.6.

But, it may already be on there, since QuickTime Pro is part of the FCP installation process. If you have QuickTime 7 on the system and you install QuickTime X, the system (inexplicably) moves QuickTime 7 to the Utilities folder. Look there first before you do anything.

www.derekmok.com
October 31, 2010 11:08AM
QuickTime 7 and X Frequently Asked Questions:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 31, 2010 02:05PM
October 31, 2010 03:18PM
I had a student editor this past week who wanted to learn on her Final Cut Express. Had never really used it before but most things are the same. One thing I noticed was that while she had QT X she did not have QT 7 and it was not anywhere on her install discs. For FCE users, should this be of any concern? Currently she is shooting with an old Sony DCR 2000 which is SD anyway but I would have thought that QT 7 would have been part of the package.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 31, 2010 03:19PM
It makes no difference. It's only a player.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 31, 2010 06:34PM
Thanks guys,

Every time is getting more amd more complicatedangry smiley:

I downloaded QT Player 7 7.6.6 (1709)

I looked at the utilities folder and only appears QT Player 7

Now:

I install FCP again and gives me that error saying that could be an uncompativility with macos update, but that was updated:
CAn anybody understand that language?confused smiley

Process: Final Cut Pro [39067]
Path: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Identifier: com.apple.FinalCutPro
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: FCPApp-705022005~2
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [124]

Date/Time: 2010-10-31 20:20:38.455 -0300
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 98790 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 4
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3
Anonymous UUID: CD5C8319-438C-4424-A05C-DFAEE8274F47

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/ProFX.framework/Versions/A/ProFX
Referenced from: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Reason: image not found

Model: iMac9,1, BootROM IM91.008D.B08, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.45f0
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.27)
Bluetooth: Version 2.3.3f8, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: HUAWEIMobile-Modem, PPP (PPPSerial), ppp0
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDT721064SLA360, 596,17 GB
Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GA11N
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8502, 0x24400000
USB Device: Keyboard Hub, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x1005, 0x24100000
USB Device: Evoluent VerticalMouse 2, 0x2222, 0x3061, 0x24110000
USB Device: Apple Optical USB Mouse, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0304, 0x24130000
USB Device: Apple Keyboard, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x021d, 0x24120000
USB Device: HUAWEI Mobile, 0x12d1, 0x1001, 0x26200000
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x04500000
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8215, 0x06110000
October 31, 2010 07:26PM
It's part of the OS 10.6 install disc. If you want it, that's where it is. FCE does not provide pro player capabilities however.

All the best,

Tom
October 31, 2010 09:33PM
I somehow have a sneaky suspicion that is caused by the latest prokit update (read a few threads down), but I would wait for Jon to respond to that.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 31, 2010 10:36PM
That crash has absolutely nothing to do with QuickTime Player. I'll say it again: it's only a player.

It's caused by a missing framework, which to the best of my knowledge is unrelated to ProKit. Do you have Final Cut Pro 7.0.3? If not, updating to the latest version should hopefully fix the problem (skip the ProKit 6.0.1 update though).

If you already have the latest version or installing it doesn't solve the problem, you'll have to reinstall Final Cut Studio or restore the file from the Final Cut Studio DVD. Here's an article on how to do that:

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
More tools...
November 01, 2010 01:01AM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That crash has absolutely nothing to do with
> QuickTime Player. I'll say it again: it's only a
> player.
>
> It's caused by a missing framework, which to the
> best of my knowledge is unrelated to ProKit. Do
> you have Final Cut Pro 7.0.3? If not, updating to
> the latest version should hopefully fix the
> problem (skip the ProKit 6.0.1 update though).
>
> If you already have the latest version or
> installing it doesn't solve the problem, you'll
> have to reinstall Final Cut Studio or restore the
> file from the Final Cut Studio DVD. Here's an
> article on how to do that:
>
> [www.digitalrebellion.com]
> _missing_framework_errors_in_final_cut_studio.html

From the original poster's comments, it seems like FCP wasn't properly uninstalled or reinstalled afterwards.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone dig around in frameworks, etc., unless I knew that they were very proficient with the underpinnings of OS X (having non-experts poke around in the command line is asking for trouble).

I would recommend that the original poster use Jon's excellent FCS Remover utility to remove at least FCP. Then, perform a full install of whatever was removed, along with all updates.

Of course, though it as has already been mentioned numerous times, it bears repeating that the installation of QT 7 Player has nothing to do with the problems with the Z1, or FCP in any way...

-Dave

P.S. - Beyond everything else, FCP should not crash because a framework is missing. That is programming 101. I find it quite disturbing that FCP wouldn't just exit with a proper error message instead of crashing. Amazing.
November 01, 2010 01:13PM
thanks tom! do you mean they're together? can I reinstall just that?
November 01, 2010 01:18PM
thanks Jon for all the options,
fcp 7.0. I cannot update cos I cannot open!
but do you think could be the updating?
November 01, 2010 01:21PM
>fcp 7.0. I cannot update cos I cannot open!

Click on the Apple Inc.? icon on the top left corner of screen, and choose "software update".

www.strypesinpost.com
November 01, 2010 01:25PM
Thanks to all of you for your support.

I understand that QT has nothing to do, but I need to know if that QT Player 7.6.6 I have is all I need.
I used FCS Remover utility to remove FCP and installed again but keeps giving the error.
How can I update if doesn't open?
November 01, 2010 04:10PM
alioshka
Thanks to all of you for your support.

Your welcome. We seem to be having a bit of a language problem. The only reason I mention this is that a few posters have made pretty clear suggestions that you seemed to have missed. For myself, I may not have been clear enough, so I apologize for that. But, please make sure you read everything very carefully (so we can make the best possible effort to help you). Thanks.
smiling smiley

alioshka
I understand that QT has nothing to do, but I need to know if that QT Player 7.6.6 I have is all I need.

QuickTime Player 7.app (as shown in the Utilities folder) is the correct application file (the ".app" extension may not shown on your setup). If you do a "Get Info" the file should have a version number of 7.6.6. Be sure you downloaded and installed the version for Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.x).

Since QT Player isn't your real issue, let's forget about it for now...

alioshka
I used FCS Remover utility to remove FCP and installed again but keeps giving the error.
How can I update if doesn't open?

If you actually ran the FCS installer, you shouldn't be missing a framework like the ProFX.framework (as mentioned in your crash log in a previous post). If you are simply dragging and dropping a copy of Final Cut Pro.app into the Applications folder, then that isn't a proper installation. You may want to be sure you have administrator privileges when running the FCS installer and to repair permissions with Disk Utility before and after (to help avoid issues).

Back to the crash log you posted...

alioshka
Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/ProFX.framework/Versions/A/ProFX
Referenced from: /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro
Reason: image not found

The location of the ProFX.framework corresponds with an installation of FCP 6 (in FCS 2), not the current version, which is FCP 7 (FCS 2009 or FCS 3). For FCP 7, the ProFX.framework is in a different location.

So, it appears that you are trying to run FCP 6. Someone like Jon C. may know (I don't) if FCP 6 is compatible with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, or not. Nevertheless, if the above error is correct, you shouldn't be missing that framework with a proper installation of FCP 6.

I hope this helps you to sort things out (at least to get FCP running again)...

-Dave
November 01, 2010 06:44PM
FCP 6 does run on Snow Leopard.

Could it be an automatic actualization that made it crash?
November 01, 2010 08:22PM
Yes D MAC there is a language problem since I'm spanish and I'm not so use to thecnical terms as:
'You may want to be sure you have administrator privileges when running the FCS installer and to repair permissions with Disk Utility before and after (to help avoid issues)."

Anyway I understand most of the things and believe it I read it all! So still your help is very valuable. Thank you!smiling bouncing smiley

Famous QuickTime Player 7 is 7.6.6. Still don't know how to find out if it is the right one for snow leopard.
I only install with the installer and remove with the remover.

My father passed me this DVD and thought was 6.0.6 and all of a sudden when I installed was FCP 7. Could it be an automatic actualization that made it crash?confused smiley
Re: Could it be an automatic actualization that made it crash?
November 01, 2010 08:40PM
alioshka Wrote:
> Yes D MAC there is a language problem since I'm
> spanish and I'm not so use to thecnical terms as:
> 'You may want to be sure you have administrator
> privileges when running the FCS installer and to
> repair permissions with Disk Utility before and
> after (to help avoid issues)."

In case you don't know, there is a Spanish language forum on this site. Whether you feel more comfortable here or there, at least someone who visits that forum should be able to translate the "English techno babble" for you...
winking smiley

Foro FinalCutPro

I guess if you are able to run the installer then you have proper access (privileges) for doing such things. Repairing disk permissions doesn't require any special access.

> Famous QuickTime Player 7 is 7.6.6. Still don't
> know how to find out if it is the right one for
> snow leopard.
> I only install with the installer and remove with
> the remover.

If you used the installer, then it should be the correct one for Snow Leopard. I was trying to cover some of the possible problem sources, which is why I mentioned the different installer versions. Sorry, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it (the incorrect installer probably won't work on Snow Leopard anyway)...

> My father passed me this DVD and thought was 6.0.6
> and all of a sudden when I installed was FCP 7.
> Could it be an automatic actualization that made
> it crash?confused smiley

The error message indicates that there is a mismatch between the FCP application itself and other items that get installed. I am not sure what you mean by "automatic actualization," but it seems like your installation is not right.

I wish I could write well enough in Spanish to help you more effectively. As I mentioned, ask someone on the Spanish FCP forum (point him/her to this thread here), if needed.

-Dave
Re: Could it be an automatic actualization that made it crash?
November 02, 2010 12:34PM
alioshka Wrote:
> Famous QuickTime Player 7 is 7.6.6. Still don't
> know how to find out if it is the right one for
> snow leopard.

Yes, this is fine for Snow Leopard.

My software:
More tools...
reinstalled system but still not recognized by FCP
November 05, 2010 01:58PM
thank you all by your patientytongue sticking out smiley

I reinstalled the system and applications but still not being able to capture!

the system recognizes the camera, so does quicktime and Imovie, but FCP still doesn't.
so as I need to capture right away, I tried both from quicktime and from I movie.
Quicktime just captures about 2 minutes and stops saying that is full.
I movie makes many clips that I don't want, as I need to capture at least 30 min at once.

Any recomendation there?
I cannot find any preferences to capture without restriction in any programme.
Re: reinstalled system but still not recognized by FCP
November 05, 2010 05:31PM
alioshka Wrote:
> thank you all by your patientytongue sticking out smiley
>
> I reinstalled the system and applications but
> still not being able to capture!
>
> the system recognizes the camera, so does
> quicktime and Imovie, but FCP still doesn't.
> so as I need to capture right away, I tried both
> from quicktime and from I movie.
> Quicktime just captures about 2 minutes and stops
> saying that is full.
> I movie makes many clips that I don't want, as I
> need to capture at least 30 min at once.
>
> Any recomendation there?
> I cannot find any preferences to capture without
> restriction in any programme.

So, after the reinstall of everything are you able to use FCP? It launches and seems to work without crashing?

If QT Player and iMovie can both "see and control" the HVR-Z1U camcorder, then FCP probably should, as well.

Would you please list the exact set of steps you are trying, in order to capture footage from the Z1? Be specific, starting with a new project, etc.

-Dave
FCP finaly opens but still not recognizing the Z1 Sony
November 05, 2010 06:59PM
HI D-MAC,
Thanks to answer.
Yes I can use FCP, but I cannot log and capture.
before the system didn't see the cam, now it does, but FCP always opens same pop up of no communication.
tongue sticking out smiley

FCP
New proj:
EASY SET UP HDV HDV 1080I60
DEVICE CONTROL PRESET SONY HDV FIREWIRE

SONY Z1 HDV footage:
VCR AUTO
ILINK CONV OFF
COMPONENT 1080i/480i
down convert squeeze
A/V DV OFF

Do you need any other information?
Re: FCP finaly opens but still not recognizing the Z1 Sony
November 06, 2010 01:30AM
alioshka Wrote:
> HI D-MAC,
> Thanks to answer.
> Yes I can use FCP, but I cannot log and capture.
> before the system didn't see the cam, now it does,
> but FCP always opens same pop up of no
> communication.
> tongue sticking out smiley

Okay, so FCP works... that's good...

> FCP
> New proj:
> EASY SET UP HDV HDV 1080I60
> DEVICE CONTROL PRESET SONY HDV FIREWIRE
>
> SONY Z1 HDV footage:
> VCR AUTO
> ILINK CONV OFF
> COMPONENT 1080i/480i
> down convert squeeze
> A/V DV OFF

These settings seem to be correct.

Once you open the Log & Capture window, you may want to try starting playback on the camera (not using FCP) to see if it will help FCP "see" the camera.

If that doesn't help, and you experience the same behavior you mentioned, then try to do this:

Quit Final Cut Pro, shut down your computer, turn your camcorder or deck off and on,
then restart your computer.

If none of this works, you really need to have someone watch what you are actually doing. If you have a decent (pretty fast) Internet connection, one possibility is to try using the iChat Theater feature in FCP 7. Or, you can try using the "Share Screen" functionality that is part of iChat. One or both of these will allow a remote person to see what you are actually doing in FCP. This may help you to troubleshoot your issue.

Someone else may have a better idea...

-Dave
November 06, 2010 02:42PM
Thanks Dave , yes I'm going to try that, however I think I already tried all is posible to try.
It costs me to believe that is because of a configuration, but could be of course!

So I appreciate very much your support all alonggrinning smiley, I tell you the results soon.

By the way, capturing with Imovie seems not that bad, I want to believe that there is not compression o any loss of quality in that option.
November 06, 2010 02:59PM
alioshka Wrote:
> Thanks Dave , yes I'm going to try that, however I
> think I already tried all is posible to try.
> It costs me to believe that is because of a
> configuration, but could be of course!
>
> So I appreciate very much your support all
> alonggrinning smiley, I tell you the results soon.
>
> By the way, capturing with Imovie seems not that
> bad, I want to believe that there is not
> compression o any loss of quality in that option.

Actually, I believe that iMovie converts your footage into the Apple Intermediate Codec (it doesn't support HDV natively, nor does it support ProRes).

I have the same camera (z1), so I know it should work (and does work with FCP 7.0.3 and OS X 10.6.4, with all updates). What a frustrating problem...

I hope that you sort it out soon.
winking smiley

-Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics