codec issue

Posted by nlittrell 
codec issue
December 03, 2010 05:52PM
i'm trying to render out a sequence to prep for export. footage shot on hdv 1080i 60p. my sequence settings are 1440 x 108060i pro rez, compressor set at pro rez 422; under sequence/settings, the compressor is set to pro rez.

when i rendered last night after a work session, i had no problems.

the difference today is that i added some still images, which are jpegs--but i don't see why those would be a problem. i also have several mov files i captured via i show u--but they were a part of the sequence yesterday when i had no problems.

this seems to be where the rendering gets hung up. the error message i get is that i don't have the right compression card for that codec. but when i check the properties on these mov clips they're at the same frame rate as the rest of my footage and compressed with pro rez, just like i set it when i captured.

i've deleted the clips and reinserted them back into the sequence--not working. fcp won't render beyond these mov files.

deadline first thing tomorrow a.m.--anyone know how to fix this?

thanks for any help you can provide.

nicolle
Re: codec issue
December 03, 2010 06:24PM
#14 Codec not Found

Shane's Stock Answer #14: Codec not Found

If you get a CODEC NOT FOUND missing hardware check ALL your images in Photoshop and make sure there are in a RGB color space NOT CYMK, LAB, OR GREYSCALE

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 03, 2010 06:40PM
checking item props on jpegs and not seeing anything about RGB, LAB or anything. where else would this info be?
December 03, 2010 06:44PM
checked the source files for rgb, etc. and they're all good.

could it have something to do with my aiff music file? i imported into fcp directly from cd; i've remedied that since then--copying the file onto my harddrive.
December 03, 2010 07:08PM
When you "import" into FCP, FCP just makes clips that point to the media. If you want the media to work right, copy it to the Scratch drive (and organize it so everything is together and WELL labelled), and then import.

You use Photoshop or Preview to check what the picture format is.

Are any of the stills over 4000 pixels on any side? FCP has a 4K limit.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 03, 2010 07:37PM
Yeah, I checked the rgb stuff and that's all good.

there are orange lines above the area where it stops rendering. those are the i show u mov files. the rest of the unrendered sequence is green.

i'll check the other stuff you suggested.
December 03, 2010 08:05PM
re. the 4000, do you mean the dimensions of the photo?

if so, not the case with the stills i'm using--all under 4000.
Re: codec issue and deinterlacing
December 03, 2010 08:20PM
so i still can't get it to render out at pro rez, so i've been rendering out at hdv 1440 x 1080 60i and the exported file looks much worse this way.

given that the video footage is hd, would it help at all to de-interlace?
December 04, 2010 04:08AM
It's probably a byte order issue that FCP doesn't like. Save all your pictures as tiff with preview and reconnect them. Then get a good book from the lafcpug store.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 08, 2010 01:28PM
Just to recap. As mentioned make sure images are RGB and save either as a jpeg or tiff if you need transparency in a cut out image. For dimensions of images for the 4000 limit the other person is mentioning is refering to the pixel dimensions not size by inches. Also make sure the dpi is no higher then 72.

Now for exporting your video you don't need to export with the prores codec unless you are sending your video to another editor to be added to their timeline. Just use quicktime conversion with h.264.
December 08, 2010 02:26PM
>Also make sure the dpi is no higher then 72

dpi or ppi makes no difference in the video world, as we only care about pixels, and not real world inches.

>or tiff if you need transparency

It depends on your source. If your source is a lossless codec or a .svg file, always use tiff, tga or png.

>given that the video footage is hd, would it help at all to de-interlace?

It depends on whether you are going out to web or broadcast. Deinterlace for web.

>Now for exporting your video you don't need to export with the prores codec unless you are
>sending your video to another editor to be added to their timeline.

You can export a high quality "digital master" for further encoding to your delivery formats (eg. DVD/H.264, etc.) The tools outside of FCP may provide better control over certain parameters such as resizing and deinterlacing.

>Just use quicktime conversion with h.264

Quicktime conversion is a legacy (but convenient) option. Quicktime conversion adds a pass of compression to your export, also Compressor's scaler and de-interlace tools are far better than Quicktime. Also, H.264 is only a delivery format, so you should not use it for further compression.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 08, 2010 07:04PM
The 4K limit isn't true anymore. We tested this recently and had no trouble with images with over 10k pixel widths.

December 08, 2010 09:19PM
>The 4K limit isn't true anymore. We tested this recently and had no trouble with images with over 10k pixel widths.

Funny, I'm still getting the same GENERAL ERROR when I render stills over 4K. When I reduce them to 3800, problem vanishes.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2010 09:32PM
I remember this one... It's probably a graphics card issue.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 09, 2010 05:57AM
Here's the test I did a while ago. I think Nick's was fine too.

[www.lafcpug.org]

December 09, 2010 01:31PM
The 10K image imports fine on my laptop, but not so fine on some machines. That said, you will still take quite a while to render the image in FCP, so scale it down...

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics