from fake 16/9° to real anamorphic SD

Posted by Francois 
from fake 16/9° to real anamorphic SD
December 30, 2010 07:31AM
A few years ago I've completed a film, regular Dv Pal, 720*576 Pixel Pal CCIR 601.

At the time I applied a "fake" widescreen with black bars up and bottom.

Now the Tv channel want's to broadcast it again but in the meantime they went 16/9 ! SD

They are not too happy with the idea of pilar boxing to preserve the original format (an resolution !) in that case there would be a pilar and a letter boxing ... therefore a smaller image into those big screens of today.

An editor captured the Dv tape into a Symphony, I guess with anamorphic settings because the image was squeezed and zoomed it. And the result was a desaster. I want to re-do it myself in Final Cut, with some denoising and doing that zooming with Red Giant instant HD or the BCC plug. (I guess I can do that)

So I will end up with a sequence " Anamorphic 16:9. Besides zooming I don't have a clear view of the treatment for the image.

If I drop a clip for testing on a anamorphic Dv Pal sequence, (ticked "Anamorphic 16:9 in Sequence Settings the clip gets his 33,33 aspect ratio in the Distort section of the Motion tab. and I can zoom, all seems fine in Fcp Canvas. But if I try to see it on an external monitor with the view settings on " MXO 2 DV 16:9° it is squeezed ! whitch I don't find logical.
Re: from fake 16/9° to real anamorphic SD
December 30, 2010 08:27AM
Is your monitor 16:9 compatible? If so, is the 16:9 switch on? If it looks OK in the canvas then it should be OK on the external.

December 30, 2010 09:04AM
What Jude said. FCP will simply flag the clip/timeline as 16:9 and display it as 16:9 in the viewer. On the external monitor, you will usually need to turn on the 16:9/aspect switch.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 30, 2010 09:09AM
I remember one commercial company has a broadcast monitor that's the reverse. It has a 4:3 switch. If your monitor is like that, make sure you turn the 4:3 switch off.

www.derekmok.com
December 30, 2010 09:35AM
the monitoring has several settings for widescreen. I am not in 4/3 anymore in Fcp sequence and I am " Wide " on the HDMI monitor

everythings looks ok in the monitor if the output of the MXO 2 is still " regular square SD" .

Maybe my process is wrong.

what would you guys do if you were asked the same ? make a zoomed out 16:9° séquence out of (letterboxed) 720*576 pal sequence
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics