Converting .mxf files

Posted by Delphinus 
Converting .mxf files
January 05, 2011 01:46PM
Hi gang:
I have some .mxf files that I need converted to .mov files for a FCP project. Is there a way in FCP to convert these files?
Re: Converting .mxf files
January 05, 2011 03:01PM
From a P2 card? Do you have the original directory structure from the P2 card?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 05, 2011 03:17PM
These .mxf files were sent from Isreal on a harddrive as single clips. Here is the info on the clips:

VIDEO
MPEG-1/2Video (mpgv)
Resolution: 1280x720
Frame Rate: 25

AUDIO
Codec FCM S16 LE (s16l)
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16

No other information was provided. They open and play beautifully in VLC, but I do not know of a way to convert to .mov files for a FCP project.
January 05, 2011 05:42PM
why not just use them as is in Final Cut Pro and save the time and hassle - this excellent program will let you do that

MXF Import program
January 05, 2011 06:29PM
Thanks. I did not know that. Learn something new every day. Grateful.
January 05, 2011 06:43PM
Andy:
I imported the .mxf files onto my drive then into a Final Cut Pro folder. Yet, when I try to access them, I get a "File Error: Unknown File" message.
January 05, 2011 10:05PM
Did you buy and install that program on the link I provided and then restart your computer?
January 06, 2011 12:26AM
I misunderstood you. Your first message of "this excellent program ..." I thought refered to FCP. The program you actually refered to cost $495 and I only want to convert 4 small, 20-second clips. Hardly worth $495. Is there no other way to do this?
January 06, 2011 12:54AM
Try installing p2 Cms from panasonic. There should be an mxf importer component for QuickTime that will be installed together with the software. You will then be able to import it into FCP. But I've only used that with panasonic p2, so try it and see if it works for your case. The audio may be an issue, though.

[eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp]

www.strypesinpost.com
January 06, 2011 03:08AM

I misunderstood you. Your first message of "this excellent program ..." I thought refered to FCP. The program you actually refered to cost $495 and I only want to convert 4 small, 20-second clips. Hardly worth $495. Is there no other way to do this?

Actually the plug in you require is only $179.95

[www.calibratedsoftware.com]

And if it is the only way to convert your clips then its worth it - charge it back to the client.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 06, 2011 11:50AM
I second Ben's recommendation -- it's outstanding - saves hours of re-wrapping MFX files in Quicktime - you drag the files from your P2 or XDCAM disk -- and they work instantly -- well worth the price --
February 04, 2012 09:04AM
Here is something free you might want to try. It converts my canon mxf files perfectly. [pika.dk]
February 04, 2012 09:50AM
You may be able to convert your .mxf files in FCP Log and Transfer (File Menu -> "Log and Transfer" or "Shift-Command 8" ) if, as Strypes asked, you have the original folder structure from the camera. In my case, recent files from a Panasonic HVX-200 came with folders and a "lastclip.txt" as follows...

CONTENTS
AUDIO
CLIP
ICON
PROXY
VIDEO
VOICE
LASTCLIP.TXT

If these came in a single folder, keep them in there. If not, you may need to create one.

If you are missing any files or folders and you you prefer to keep the action in FCP and have the time, ask your client to resend you the files with all the information.

Use the Action Menu to choose your output file format. As you may know, Apple ProRes 422 plays nicely with FCP.

Here's a video tutorial on using Log and Transfer...

Keep in mind that you can keep logging while transfer occurs.

If this method isn't an option for you, one of these third-party apps may be the best solution, and, as Ben said, you can charge it to the client. Let them know why you had to do it.

I hope this helps.

Kcir
February 04, 2012 12:43PM
I had a feeling that the problem was a corruption in FCP 6.5, but was not able to confirm this until yesterday, when I loaded FCP 7. After that, the HDV material came in just fine, so it was some kind of 6.5 problem I was having.
September 19, 2015 04:35AM
Next time you have a problem converting mxf to mac iMovie FCP, you can download mxf converter with a coupon AISEDRFT 30%off or download the avchd converter for mxf converting.
July 30, 2016 02:52AM
Well, in this case you need to make use of the professional third party converter. You can make use of professional and powerful MXF to FCP converter and this helps to convert MXF file format to supported FCP file format such as ProRes 422.. This is easy to use and this Mac MXF Converter also supports professional encoders like DNxHD, MPEG-2, Apple Intermediate Codec – guaranteeing high editing efficiency and quality when working with FCP, Adobe Premier, iMovie, Final Cut Express (FCE) or Avid Media Composer.

video-converters.org/blog/how-to-edit-panasoniccanonsony-p2-mxf-to-fcp-7
August 18, 2017 03:47AM
Or you can take the one I'm using right now to convert MXF files: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/free-mxf-converter.html
It's a freeware and simple to use. You can easily convert the MXF videos to MOV. So share with you, anyone needs this you can have a check there.
And here's more information on open MOV files on FCP: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7613990?start=0&tstart=0
Good luck.
September 11, 2017 01:47PM
ACH Don't do any of that stuff Download Davinci Resolve (FREE) and use it for converting. Then consider just editing in Resolve next time.

Ethan@advantagevideosystems.com

[www.advantagevideosystems.com]
[www.imdb.com]
[ethan-editor.blogspot.com] (My Reel)

GOING TO NAB2018? USE OUR FREE CODE:LV8875
And visit our booth in South Lower Hall @ SL14916
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics