Automating the Export process

Posted by Mike Watson 
Automating the Export process
January 10, 2011 04:49PM
I was working on an hour-long edit last night until late, and went to bed when I started the export. It estimated 20 minutes to completion, so I napped for a bit and got up and fired the h.264 compression, then set the alarm again and got up to start the Vimeo uploader a few hours later. The process, as always, was time consuming but without flaw.

There must be some way that I have not figured out yet to make this easier.

If I export to a particular folder, is there a way I can have MPEG Streamclip (or Compressor, or anything) monitor a folder, and when it sees a file in there... Egads! Compress it to h.264?

Then... have that save to a DIFFERENT folder, and have the Vimeo uploader (this is built on Adobe architecture, it is a program that runs locally that uploads to Vimeo) immediately pick anything out of there and start an upload?
Re: Automating the Export process
January 10, 2011 06:44PM
i think that would be possible, but you'd have to know a bit about Scripting, and using Automator.

a compressor droplet might be easier to factor into the equation than Mpeg Streamclip,
but i'm really speaking from a position if ignorance, so take that with a grain or two of salt.

nick
January 10, 2011 07:39PM
Yes, you could definitely figure this out with Automator. One of our guys just made a script that takes a folder full of quicktime movies, strips off the audio, runs this through Levellator, then makes the new audio replace the original audio in each file and saves it as a new version. Saves tons of manual work. Check out the Automator community and you might even find some pre-written scripts that fits parts of your bill.

January 10, 2011 09:06PM
Set your alarm clock? You're half right. Just that if you set an audio alarm, the only thing you are automating is yourself. Create an Automator app, and let it get specified folder, get folder contents and run a compressor droplet. Then set an alarm in iCal so it runs the Automator app at a specified time. For critical work, make sure you have fully tested out the Automator action.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 10, 2011 09:10PM
A few things you may want to disable- 1, screen lock, and 2, OS X's quarantine function. To disable the quarantine function, do this:

[strypesinpost.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
January 10, 2011 09:20PM
The desktop Vimeo uploader is written in Adobe AIR and I don't think that's scriptable.

BUT, there is a command line interface that you might be able to use to get the upload to Vimeo going.

There's some talk about it here: search for command line in the comments.

[vimeo.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics