QuickTime Emasculated

Posted by Kozikowski 
QuickTime Emasculated
February 07, 2011 12:31AM
Oh, hi.

We just took delivery of two new Mac Pros with the latest Final Cut (I'm short on specifics. I'm typing this from home). The editor's noticed right away that the QuickTime that came with the package (8?) is a plain, simple player, not the powerful production tool QT7 was.

Nasty surprise. Apparently this is old news via Google, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the tools back.

Is there?

Isn't Final Cut "standing" on QuickTime Services? They have to exist. Is this just a matter of getting a new operating shell?

Koz
Re: QuickTime Emasculated
February 07, 2011 01:14AM
Long time no see, Koz.

I'm assuming you're talking about the QuickTime X problem. Your QuickTime icon in the Dock is now some fancy-schmancy 3-D thing with lighting effects, right? That's QuickTime X. QuickTime 7 is still there on your machine; only it got moved to Applications - Utilities. Just stick that in the Dock as well, and launch it first before you open movie files. You'll still have all the options. You can also, of course, change the default applications of movie files to QuickTime 7; just navigate to the right item.

www.derekmok.com
February 07, 2011 05:55AM
Hey Koz man! Where have you been hiding?

If it's not installed in Apps/Utilities/ then you will need to install it from the Mac OS X installer disk under "Optional Installs"

Read here: [support.apple.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 07, 2011 07:54AM
Kozikowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Isn't Final Cut "standing" on QuickTime Services?
> They have to exist. Is this just a matter of
> getting a new operating shell?

The QuickTime 7 frameworks are installed, it's just the player that's missing. It doesn't have an effect on any applications.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about QuickTime X so I did a writeup a while back:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 08, 2011 12:14AM
That worked. Everybody's a happy camper again.
Thanks!
Koz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics