Back end percentage?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Back end percentage?
February 07, 2011 09:50PM
I have been offered a small percentage of a film in lieu of money to do some work on it. I saw some of the film and it's pretty bad, my initially reaction was absolutely not!
However, apparently there are really bad movies that get distribution...

Have you been offered a back end percentage instead of upfront money? Did you take it? Did the project eventually yield any monetary gain?
Re: Back end percentage?
February 07, 2011 10:40PM
Of the 5 films I worked on with this agreement, nothing came of ANY of them. Of 10,000 films that get made, maybe 1-2 will see any sort of distribution.

SO you have to look at it like this... The experience of cutting a feature/short/narrative project...ability to put it on the reel...doing it for the sake of love of the craft of filmmaking. If you just happen to get paid...BONUS! But never go in expecting it. ONly lead to disappointment.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 07, 2011 11:15PM
I think you also have to consider this. If nobody sees the movie, you don't get anything from a per centage. If lots of people see this movie and it truly sucks, then your name is associated with the crap. Luckily editors get less blame for a bad movie than other personnel (directors, producers and actors usually take the heat), but it's still a consideration.

Unless you're getting paid or you owe favours, I'd say, never do a project you don't believe in. It's gonna be painful, too, from a creative standpoint.

www.derekmok.com
February 07, 2011 11:26PM
Excellent points guys, thank you!
February 08, 2011 01:29AM
"Have you been offered a back end percentage instead of upfront money?"

YES, i have been offered points, or more accurately A point.
it was not in lieu of a salary, but on top of a "basic" one,

"Did the project eventually yield any monetary gain?"

according to the books, no.
so i have never seen one cent from that deal over what i got as a wage.

by the way, if you decide to do it,
then don't think that because its not a paying job you don't need a comprehensive contract,
or some sort of deal in writing outlining how much work you'll do, for how long, and various conditions,
such as screen credits, etc, etc.

there have been some threads about contracts here that would be worth looking up.

nick
February 08, 2011 04:00AM
I have been lucky enough to make money from a feature by percentage but I also got my basic cost of living covered as I could not commit to the film otherwise.

For the record - (in the UK at least) Percentage Points that pay are known as Smarties and those that don't are often called Monkey Points...

If you really believe the film with make money then argue more points and be a Smarty - otherwise avoid being a monkey!

It's a gamble - if you like gambling you might enjoy the risk.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics