Rendering long movies.

Posted by limakid 
Rendering long movies.
February 24, 2011 07:00AM
Hi,

I need deliver a DVD which at the end on the DVD Studio Pro I'll set up for 150 minutes because this event has a duration of 2 hours and 15 minutes.

The master sequence contains about 10 sequences. Filter applied, mostly color correction and Neat Video Noise reduction.

The sequences are almost not rendered, just very little portions like some transitions or effects. I saw that the expected time for one sequence was about 3 weeks and for all the master sequences 27 days! So...

I didn't render the sequences because you know on the way you need correct always something and I don't want to wait 10 minutes of rendering for just 15 seconds of a sequence extract.

Of course, I am using UNLIMited play (orange bar) but the neat video for noise reduction consumes a lot of resources. OK. I learned that this is to be applied at the very end only. Even the orange bar, I couldn't see a fluent video with effects. With Safe RT I saw fluent video but without the effects and when I pause it, I can see the overlays, effects, the middle of the transition the color correction, etc.

Do I need to upgrade my 8 core mac pro 6gb RAM?

What could be the best workflow to finish on a standard DVD?

* To render first of all every sequence separately? Doing so, the master sequence will be also rendered automatically?

* To render all the master sequence (2 hours 15 minutes of timeline) one, how long could it take? 27 days? And after that, compress to MPEG-2?

* As per it is thought for a DVD, could I compress all the master sequence straight to MPEG-2 in Compressor, without rendering previously in FCP?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I need learn some workflow techniques.
Re: Rendering long movies.
February 24, 2011 08:02AM
Noise reduction is not a real time video effect. At best you may get 10-15 frames a second.

I'm not sure why you're not rendering. I always set the timeline to auto render at 1 minute, when I'm doing finishing. FCP will only render the areas that needs rendering. It does not re-render areas that are already rendered.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 24, 2011 05:25PM
Yes, that's true. I notice that I'm really newbie. I didn't get that difference about RT effects and Not Real time ones. But I didn't see this info in other turoriales. I see that all started when applied the noise reduction. Sometimes I see a message like "Autorender in process..." or some. Without applying the N.R. everything is fine. That was my mistake I think: to apply the N.R. on the go. Thx a lot.
February 25, 2011 12:19AM
Exporting will mean rendering that sequence AS it exports. Before you export, you need to render. If you have a 2 hour 10 min sequence with a VERY render intensive filter on there (noise reduction)...that you say takes 10 min just for 15 seconds of the timeline...yeah, you are looking at weeks of rendering. No way around that.

You should have been rendering as you went...letting it go overnight on sections, render while you go out for lunch.

This is the drawback to these filters...render times are HUGE.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Rendering. How do I know if continues or not.
February 25, 2011 10:26AM
Thanks for your help guys. I see that what is happening to me is not casual, well and I have today an issue.

Last night I left a one hour sequence to be rendered, about 7pm. The message said that the render could take about 12 hours, Ok. By 3am, the message said as expected: Estimated time: about 4 hours. So, by 7am this morning it should be already rendered.

It is 11:30am now and the rendering continues as if nothing had happened, nothing advanced from 3am to this time. I am still reading "Estimated time: about 4 hours and 79%". Should I cancel? Should I let continues? why didn't advance?

I'll really appreciate if somebody can reply ASAP because I can not do anything in FCP while "rendering in progress".

Thx a lot.
February 25, 2011 10:30AM
Go ahead and cancel. It will keep all the renders up to that point.

Might be a pretty hefty render...might have to be done in smaller chunks. THis is why it is wise to do it as you go. When you have breaks.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 25, 2011 10:35AM
Yes, very, very important...when you have a long FCP render, cancel it every 30 to 60 minutes. If you have a 16-hour render and it crashes at 15:30, when you relaunch the project, you'll have nothing -- the project file is from before the render and doesn't "remember" what's been done. Cancelling the render allows you to save the project file -- which then links the project file to what's been rendered up to that point.

www.derekmok.com
February 25, 2011 12:36PM
I personally cancel out of rendering long sequences more frequently - like every 10 minutes and then I SAVE before continuing the render I've been caught out too many times by crashes and freezes during render

Best

Harry.
February 25, 2011 12:42PM
Harry if you find that manually setting FCP to render then try the auto render function set to 1 minute and let FCP render any open sequences whilst you do other things or overnight.

It is extremely useful as you can then render more than 1 sequence this way.

Also I have found even with the old version of FCP that it never crashed this way.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 25, 2011 05:43PM
Ben -

I too find that allowing it to render itself on auto-render produces less crashes.

I just render as soon as possible and in small chunks. I also find that having a whole bunch of un-rendered stuff in the timeline can cause crashes too.

Best

Harry.
February 25, 2011 07:59PM
The term 'cancel' is pretty misleading. I've met lots of people who sat there being very unproductive waiting for things to finish rendering. It should be .. I dunno .. 'Save to this point' or 'pause and save' or something.

February 25, 2011 11:34PM
Really THANKS to everybody. I hope someday I will also be giving so accurate answers. I canceled the rendering and not all the sequence was rendered, but at least a third part of that. It's something. From now on I will reduce the long of sequences to render.

Now, for all who says that can set up for a render on a minute (or render every minute). So, how do I do it? Maybe User Preference > General tab > AutoRender should be CHECKED? Star render after: 1 minute? and available for Open Sequences is ok?

I also notices that if I render the original sequence (I mean where are the clips which allow you to edit), this will be reflected automatically in the master sequence where I insert that particular sequence, but if I do render straight in the sequence (long purple timeline), the render affects only to this sequence and not to their original clips.

Thx again.
February 26, 2011 02:25AM
Wait, are you NESTING? Don't do that. COPY/PASTE. Or if you do nest, you must render BEFORE you nest and put that nest in a new sequence.

Nesting isn't the best for most situations.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics