do I need an mxo box?

Posted by yogatic 
do I need an mxo box?
February 25, 2011 06:42AM
I am capturing hdv video with firewire 400 from my canon xh a1s straight into log and capture in FCP.
Would capturing with an mxo (2) box increase the quality of my end product? Or would the only benefit of the mxo box be the ability to color correct on an ACD for broad cast quality?
Re: do I need an mxo box?
February 25, 2011 07:20AM
Digital capture is just that - 1s and 0s. You can't improve the quality during capture.

February 25, 2011 08:05AM
But it might improve your quality of life in getting to the end product ... direct capture in real time to a proper edit codec of your choice, plus the ability to monitor your edit in full quality to a compatible reference display whilst editing.

Note that the MXO2 does NOT offer any special ability to color correct on an ACD (that was the original "output only" MXO) instead the MXO2 wants a 1920x1080 HDMI monitor with a 1:1 pixel display mode.

Hope it helps
Andy
February 25, 2011 08:29AM
How would you capture through the matrox mxo2 if the Canon XH A1s doesn't have a HDMI port on the camera? I use the Canon XH A1s all the time. Is there something I'm missing?
February 25, 2011 09:09AM
The MXO2 supports multiple input and output connection types Russ: HD/SD SDI (not available on the MXO2 Mini), HDMI, Component, S-Video (SD only) and Composite (SD only) ... the Canon XH A1s has Component out.
February 25, 2011 10:55AM
Thanks Andy for clearing that up. I have the MXO2 Mini and it says it will "Capture high definition video via HDMI and analog component. So if I shot my footage at HD, I can use the "analog component" to capture HD footage from the Canon XH A1s? I'm just learning about this MXO2 Mini.
February 25, 2011 04:29PM
Thanks everyone , that was very helpful.
I ll will def get a matrox box for creating DVD's. Working in prores 422 would be an improvement too I guess, Now I just have to figure out which one, mxo, mini or mxo2
February 25, 2011 08:20PM
>So if I shot my footage at HD, I can use the "analog component" to capture HD footage from the Canon XH A1s?

Exactly.
February 25, 2011 09:00PM
Thanks again Andy smiling smiley
February 27, 2011 02:15PM
Which monitor would you recommend,Andy if my budget was max $1000?
February 28, 2011 12:10AM
Thats a tricky one, not enough money to buy a really good monitor ... but not pocket change either ... I'd hate to be responsible for spending your money unwisely, and as I don't have a monitor I use myself for color reference in this price range I can't really make a recommendation for you based on personal experience.

But if I were about to buy such a monitor I'd certainly take a good look at the Dell U2410 ... that one ticks a lot of the boxes and is priced well within your range. (Do bear in mind that early reviews suggested some inconsistency in the quality of the panels it uses ... you could get a good one, or you could get a bad one ... one would hope that those earlier issues have been ironed out in the later revision builds now coming from the factory). And for further reference, here's a link to a thread over on the COW's Matrox forum that discusses the "great MXO2 monitor hunt" : [forums.creativecow.net]

Hope it helps
Andy
February 28, 2011 03:46AM
I have said it many times on the forums but certain Panasonic Plasmas are without doubt the single best prosumer level video monitor you can use. Hands down. Some models have a lot of picture control and adjustment settings; meaning they are able to be properly calibrated to REC709 or so close you'd be forgiven you have just spent several thousand on a Grade 1.

I wrote a list for another LAFCPUG post of the panasonic plasmas you should consider getting from previous years and the current models. All are 10bit (12bit or more internally) 1920x1080p Panels with HDMI 1.3+ and xvYCC (aka x.v.Color?) and Deepcolor? and can monitor 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 8bit and 10bit Y'CrCb or 10bit RGB video. Some models have 'Studio Reference Mode' and 'Pro Setting Mode' which will give you the options to calibrate it to an extremely good level for post.

[www.lafcpug.org]

You certainly won't be disappointed with a Pany! <- Cheesy tagline ©Ben King 2011 just now.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 28, 2011 04:47AM
Thanks Ben
Absolutely agree, the Panasonic Pro Plasmas seem to have a fantastic reputation ... in my own searches in the past I've found those earlier models are damn hard to find tho, so they must be good :-). But Yogatic, if you do get hold of one, please make sure its one of those with the Studio Reference Mode / Pro Setting Mode that Ben describes ... you'll need that if you want to get a really great calibration with your MXO2.
Cheers
Andy
February 28, 2011 06:47AM
Ben, Andy, Thanks a lot guys. There is so much to learn still for me about video production, you ve been very helpful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics