SSD Lighting fast but NOT there yet.

Posted by J.Corbett 
SSD Lighting fast but NOT there yet.
February 26, 2011 07:38PM
This started in another thread and i searched the forum and found no thread on it so...............

I just read a bunch on the new SSD's for mac.

1. Max capacity right now is 512gigs under 1k.

I think that this is good for a main drive with your applications and such but not as a storage unit. 60% of my projects are plus 300g in HD footage alone. With that litmus i would buy a drive per project.

2. I have not seen the SSD as a raid. I know its out there but i haven't seen a feasible system yet.

I watched the video comparisons on YouTube. One thing occurred to me on the 25mb image test. The image was coming from a ssd drive, in this particular test that drive was also the main drive. I know that the application opening was faster but, i currently get that type of speed from a 7200rpm 1TB Samsung F1-HHD.

TIFF, PNG, JPEG, PDF - nearly instant up to 80mb
EPS - 2-4s up to 80mb

100mb is about the largest files i deal with, and i only have about 60 image files at that size (10k/px+)

3. On read write to itself & App start-up is definitely better than hdd. In fact i see more improvement in that department than any other at this time.

In summary, They are faster (6g) than hdds but until 1TB is about 400USD and there is a more affordable Raid for them what you get is not worth the money. If it comes stock in a new MBP yes but i would want my main drive to be 1tb and cost between 200 - 500.

Here are the videos i watched.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: SSD Lighting fast but NOT there yet.
February 26, 2011 07:54PM
I'm thinking you must be starved of geek friends over there JC.
February 26, 2011 08:55PM
J.Corbett Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In summary, They are faster (6g) than hdds but
> until 1TB is about 400USD and there is a more
> affordable Raid for them what you get is not worth
> the money. If it comes stock in a new MBP yes but
> i would want my main drive to be 1tb and cost
> between 200 - 500.

They're going down in price rapidly. I think in the next 3 years they will be standard in most laptops. They'll take longer to be appealing to desktop users though.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 26, 2011 11:24PM
You guessed it Andy. I had a slow February so with only 2 projects in queue I am try to let my Geek-Out a little bit. grinning smiley

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 27, 2011 10:03PM
"2. I have not seen the SSD as a raid. I know its out there but i haven't seen a feasible system yet. "

Panasonic have been using this in their P2 cards since they came out about 7 years ago.
The cards consist of 4 SD chips, set up as a raid 0. Mind you they're only up to 64 gb so far.
February 27, 2011 10:23PM
Most of the SSD RAID systems out there are viable JC - the problem is that most people are able to afford them!

Take a look at the sort of thing (as far as capacity and speed) that a lot more people will be using in the next few years:

[www.angelbird.co.uk]

[www.ramsan.com]

First will be the Hybrids RAIDs and Hybrid HDDs in RAIDs then I think SSD will start to take over (unless the tech for disk platters gets much better which it might).

Then onto Quantum storage before we get the Quantum Processors and then you and I will be redundant as the machines will be ruling us all! tongue sticking out smiley

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 27, 2011 11:35PM
What Ben said. I have a friend who set up an SSD raid and that was blazing fast. Problem is the price. 8 TBs of that stuff will drill a hole into your pocket book.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 28, 2011 03:34PM
Price is the main issue.

That Ramsan is extra sexy but probably 40k+. I would guess that in 3-5trs it will be cheaper because of another new thing and more manufacturers to compete with.

I would love to have a nice 12TB SSD raided in 4tb pairs but not while that will only cost 2k with current efficiently working methods.

The HDD will live until there is only a 20% cost difference.

I didn't get deep into P2 footage so i didn't know that it was a ssd raided card.

As for speed i only see a difference in boot up and app start. Huge in booting but not a great jump from where i currently am on app and file opening. Maybe 1-2secs. That might add up to about 45m saved over a quarter. 3D & 4k+ media would be better on SSD for the high data rate.

I bet a MacPro 8core with an internal ssd raid is also most muted. The hhd spinning is still a little distracting. Hummmmmmmmm

""""
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics