FCP/QT DVD

Posted by M1119 
FCP/QT DVD
March 02, 2011 08:45AM
I exported two projects in QT then threw them on a DVD and burned them to give it to the client so they can play the QT files. Now they are saying that when they play them on their PC`s its skipping and the audio is muffled. When they play them on regular DVD they see no video but the audio is playing. First why would it do that? Second the DVD shouldn't recognize the QT, It didn't when I played it in my DVD, so how can they only hear audio and not see any video?
Re: FCP/QT DVD
March 02, 2011 08:58AM
Sounds like they don't have the codec. You may want to encode to h.264 or mpeg4.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 02, 2011 09:05AM
if I encode it in h.264 or mpeg4 I looks very compressed and low quality. Should I ask them to upgrade there QT?
March 02, 2011 09:17AM
To improve the H.264 quality you'll have to push up the data rate. However DVDs are designed to play back specific formats in a set top box. Media that's high data rate will not play properly from the disc. The video will skip and drop frames. You could copy it off the disc and play it back from the computer, but if you want it to play from the disc it should be in one of the formats that DVDs use, most commonly MPEG-2.

Export to QuickTime Movie. Take the file to Compressor. Make MPEG-2 and Dolby audio. Take the files to DVD Studio Pro. Burn the disc.

All the best,

Tom
March 02, 2011 09:27AM
Yea I guess burning it as a proper DVD is the last resort. But if they have QT player on their PC how come it was skipping it then? Because the file on the DVD is a QT file.
March 02, 2011 09:29AM
What are you trying to deliver? I was under the impression they were offline approvals. I usually do my offline approvals on mpeg4 for Internet submission or DVD video for DVD submission. If you are making end deliverables, you need to check what they want. A QuickTime is too generic.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 02, 2011 09:31AM
Two things for a PC are needed for data playback of QT correctly

1) Horsepower, a i7 is nice
2) A good video card even the entry level Nvidia 950 would be good.

You'd be amazed at the amount of underpowered PCs roaming out there.

Usually you have to lowest common denominator your media when you don't know
what class of computer PC will be used!

M1119 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yea I guess burning it as a proper DVD is the last
> resort. But if they have QT player on their PC how
> come it was skipping it then? Because the file on
> the DVD is a QT file.
March 02, 2011 09:32AM
QuickTime is just a container format. You may need an FCP installation to access some codecs. Also, a DVD has a relatively low sustainable bitrate, so you cannot play many formats straight off a DVD.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 02, 2011 09:56AM
Yes they are offline approvals but the end deliverable will be for the web.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics